• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Collecting in Río Tigre / Río Pucacuro 2010

Mark C

Lots and lots of amazing pictures there ,im so jealous i would love to collect wild apisto to bring home .I realy like A.bitaeniata for Rio Tigre stunning fish .

peterK

5 Year Member
Wonderful report Tom, thanks a lot for sharing. C. spirulus were gorgeous, did you bring some of them home?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
After seeing Mark's legs, and remembering the mosquitoes in the Samaria-Picaya Reserve where they considered insect repellent a 'condiment', I wonder why I still want to go back!

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
^ Just thing I needed to save a few thousand dollars! I'll just leave the collecting to you hard core folks.

Excellent read Tom. Thanks for taking the time to put that together. Looks like you had a lot of "fun". :) Admittedly, I almost enjoy the stories of the people and pictures of other wildlife as much as the fish.

MonteSS

Amazing story and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Those bites look pretty bad. What do the locals do about it?

....Bill

ari

Wow! Such an amazing trip! How many fish did you bring back? I assume the point was the adventure and not the fish :)

I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of the fish survived the trip. How did you pack them? how did you aerate the water on the ay home? how about water quality/feeding? was any of that necessarily? how did you keep the temps in an acceptable range? How did you store the fish on the trip back to civilization and on the plane ride home?

I'm not planning such a trip, but it does seem pretty once in a lifetime!

Tom C

5 Year Member
Glad you liked the report, folks!

....C. spirulus were gorgeous, did you bring some of them home?
No, I didn't. I've brought this species home on several earlier occations, and I didn't have room for them this time.

...I'll just leave the collecting to you hard core folks...
Coward! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

.....I assume the point was the adventure and not the fish :)
2010 was the 6th. year in a row that I spent an autum-month in the Amazon. Although the goal is to find and document Apistogramma species and their habitats on several different expeditions during the 4 weeks, of course the local people, the nature, the flora and fauna and all the other things also contribute to make this an exiting adventure, every time!

....How many fish did you bring back? .......I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of the fish survived the trip.....
From all the expeditions in 2010 I brought, in total, around 290 small fish back with me, and lost only two small characins and 2 very young Apistogramma on the trip back to Norway.

... How did you pack them? ...
You'll find answers to most of questions like this in post #17 in this thread, where I also link to another thread where I have written about this.

In less than 3 weeks I'll be back in the Amazon!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….