• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ACA2011 website goes live

finman57

There will be a raffle for a Registration Bundle.
Registration Bundle includes the following:
* 1 Free Registration
* 1 Convention T-shirt signed by our Features Speakers Zeb Hogan, Ad Konings, Rene Kruter and Vin Kutty.
Rules:
* Anyone who has purchased a Full Registration or Registration Package by 11:59 P.M.(DST) on 8 April 2011 will be automatically entered. Funds must be received and cleared by this time.
* A winner will be randomly selected at the CCA meeting on 9 April 2011.
* The winner's name will be announced on the CCA webpage by 10 April 2011.
* The free registration will be in the form of a $50.00 refund.
* The winner will receive the winnings when he/she physically checks in at the Convention.

So go to http://ccadoesaca.com, register and go get the word out!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Who is going? I will be there, arriving Wednesday and departing Monday. I will be around the D.C. area a week earlier (at least), and will be making myself available to the CCA for whatever they need me to do whenever they need it done. Anyone want to join me?

One of the things I will be involved with is managing the donated fish that will be sold to support the Guy Jordan Research and Paul V. Loiselle Conservation funds. I will be forming a team of about 10 people coming to the convention who want to help me with tanking, promoting, silent auctioning and bagging these donated fish (when they are sold). There will be a unique t-shirt in it for you, plus the fun of being involved and knowing that you are helping a great cause.

Join us at the ACA!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
How much substance? How technical? I'm sure most would like a slide show with many species shown. On the other hand, it could deal with more technical aspects; like distribution patterns, methods for IDing species, etc. Just curious because it looks like I'll be the one giving the talk!

Some options:

21st Century Apistos: New, Novel, & Rarely Seen (Pretty pictures; well, most of them anyway)
Paleogeography of South America & Its Effects on Apisto Distribution Patterns (Very Technical)
The "Art" of Apisto ID (Kind of technical)

Any other suggestions? I could really bore you by showing 300+ different species/forms/populations of apistos.:wink:

bussardnr

5 Year Member
Thats great, I make sure to come then.

Paleogeography of South America & Its Effects on Apisto Distribution Patterns (Very Technical) <- sounds really interesting, although I doubt I'll be our average listener.

Julio Melgar

5 Year Member
You could combine the 21st Century Apistos with the Art of Apisto IDs and female color patterns as species identification all in one talk. A lot of work for you Mike but it has substance and pretty pictures at the same time.

I would love to hear the Paleogeography as a way to predict where new species might occur but, as bussadnr mentioned, I am afraid it will be too technical for the average audience. Maybe we can have that talk in somebody's room :biggrin:

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Uwe Romer did the paleogeography topic in Atlanta. It was really, really dry... lots of people walked out. Most of the visuals in the presentation were diagrams of ancient forest cover and scatter plot graphs. Interesting topic, but it does not provide much for keeping and breeding the fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You could combine the 21st Century Apistos with the Art of Apisto IDs and female color patterns as species identification all in one talk. A lot of work for you Mike but it has substance and pretty pictures at the same time.

How long do you want this talk to be???? I imagine that all 3 topics would take all night to present. I just finished a rough draught of a paper that gives descriptions of the different species-group. I know it needs some polishing, but it is already 33 pages long. Fortunately, that's the hard part ... well, ID of females isn't going to be easy, but we'll see.

I would love to hear the Paleogeography as a way to predict where new species might occur but, as bussadnr mentioned, I am afraid it will be too technical for the average audience. Maybe we can have that talk in somebody's room :biggrin:
That's a possibility. I guess we could all huddle around a computer. I agree with Ted, that paleogeography isn't suitable for the average dc person, but for you, Julio, I'll put on the show. Looks like I'll be very busy over the next couple of months!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….