• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's your favorite dither fish?

geeks_15

5 Year Member
Just looking for ideas to keep with my apistos, but I think dithers to keep with other dwarf cichlids would be interesting as well. I'll throw out a couple of my favorites:

cardinal tetra
ember tetra

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I prefer fishes from Nannostomus genus.

I´ve N. eques, N. marginatus and N. mortenthaleri but prefer N. eques because they´re very surface oriented.

Usually, I use Pyrrhulina rachoviana (because it´s easy to find here).

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Pencils, probably N. eques or N. marginatus for choice. If people live in remoter areas and struggle to find Pencil fish, the Black Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi) is a good "easy to find" option, they are surface orientated and they colour up really well when they are kept in clean, soft water. They are a shoaling fish, so ideally you need at least 5. They also have the advantage of being fairly hardy. I kept them with A. cacatuoides and that was a very good combination.

If you don't mind having a dither from a different continent, the Threadfin Rainbow (Iriatherina werneri) is a good dither, you can keep them as a pair(s) or trio(s), or you can keep all males or you can just have them as a mixed shoal. Even the adult fish really like very small food items, I've noticed when I feed mixed Grindal and Microworms, the Threadfins ignore the Grindal worms and eat the Microworms.

Another "wrong continent" option is the Rocket Killi (Pseudepiplatys annulatus), they are fairly sensitive fish and like a planted tank and soft, acid water.

Other easier options are a couple of live bearers - Endlers or Poecilia caucana, you'll need to keep the population under control.

cheers Darrel

geeks_15

5 Year Member
... but a school of cardinal is very efficient at eating apist fry.

I counter this problem by using a large tank with lots of cover and a small school of cardinals. My cacatuoides have raised many fry in my 75gallon planted tank with a small school of 10-12 cardinals.

That is my display tank. In my smaller breeding tanks I don't have long term dithers, though I may get some for my shy apistos. Croaking gourami fry are my dithers for now, but I think they'll get too big and aggressive.

fredmir1

5 Year Member
I haven`t try them yet as dither fishes,but what about Glo fishes???
The one that grow in the dark
I`m breeding them,that why I mention them

George

ste12000

5 Year Member
Im another fan of the pencilfish group..I have a interest in breeding these little fellas as well as using them as very good dither fish. Ive got a nice collection now and am spawning several species.
Ive never had a pencilfish eat a Apisto fry or even look at them when they are freeswimming, they are completely placid and non confrontational.
DSCF1253.jpg

DSCF1893.jpg

DSCF4378-1.jpg

DSCF8080-1.jpg

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have not tried them yet, but I suspect some of the soft-water blue-eye rainbows would be good dithers. Pseudomugil gertrudeae is available commercially bred on fish farms now, and I have seen the price as low as $3 each for them.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have not tried them yet, but I suspect some of the soft-water blue-eye rainbows would be good dithers. Pseudomugil gertrudeae is available commercially bred on fish farms now, and I have seen the price as low as $3 each for them.

I had a large group (28) of these in a metre long tank that looked superb. They didn't form a tight shoal but loose aggregations. I had Biotoecus in there that certainly seemed ok with them as dithers. They never bred, but as the blue eyes didn't eat too many of the baby shrimp in the tank I think fry would be fine.

geeks_15

5 Year Member
I suspect that Badis species are too close in body form, habits, and habitat requirements to apisto to be good dithers. The apistos would look at them more as competitors.

I have a scarlet badis in my 20 gallon grow out tank with apisto baenschi fry. The apisto fry and the badis are about the same size now and they do treat each other like competition. They actually treat each other like the apisto fry treat each other with some displaying and mild aggression toward each other.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….