• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma elizabethae question

pug

5 Year Member
Hello,

Why is Apistogramma elizabethae so hard to find? Are they difficult to spawn, have small spawns, or? I have been looking for some, but they are not to be found, and when they are, the price is very high. Just wondering what the reasons are. Also, same question on Apistogramma diplotaenia, another dream fish I want to keep someday.

Thanks!

pug

Hassles

5 Year Member
Elizabethae

Hello,

Why is Apistogramma elizabethae so hard to find? Are they difficult to spawn, have small spawns, or? I have been looking for some, but they are not to be found, and when they are, the price is very high. Just wondering what the reasons are. Also, same question on Apistogramma diplotaenia, another dream fish I want to keep someday.

Thanks!

pug

A.elizabethae is not easy to reproduce, they are far from common and are the single most expensive Apisto I have encounterred to date. Here in Australia rhe asking price is 250 dollars - compare this to the 17 asked for double red cacatuoides or the 40 for borelli opal. I hope to acquire a pair soon from a private breeder. His breeding of this Apisto earned him congratulations aplenty!
cheers

Bev N

Apisto Club
5 Year Member
Yes Pug...they are difficult to spawn. As least this has been my experience. I have a pair that I'm hoping now that the female has recovered from droopsy will finalllyyy do something. The only place I know where they are being bred commercially is in Europe.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
elizabethae

Yes this fish is rare--the area is not commonly collected (Ucayali) and it takes a long timje to get there. There are some in Europe and I will be bringing a bunch back from Germany in July. Uwe says that this group is amongst the best he as seen, nice red faces too.

Microman

5 Year Member
I dont think they are found in the Ucayali Dave as thats in Peru.... Dont you mean the Rio Uaupes and Icana systems, upper Rio Negro, Brazil.

Ive got a few nice pairs that reproduce relatively easily and i am slowly getting them distributed to hobbyists throught the UK. Wild imports are now slowly creeping into the hobby in Europe.
Mark...

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Yes Pug...they are difficult to spawn. As least this has been my experience. I have a pair that I'm hoping now that the female has recovered from droopsy will finalllyyy do something. The only place I know where they are being bred commercially is in Europe.
Hey there, Bev,
Sorry to hear about the dropsy problem. I have yet to breed an Apistogramma species that has ever shown any symptoms of or related to dropsy. I have only found them dead some morning without showing obvious signs of distress the day before. I don't think there is a cure for popeye or dropsy, especially one that allows breeding the affected fish once the symptoms have ever become manifest.

blatch

5 Year Member
I dont think they are found in the Ucayali Dave as thats in Peru.... Dont you mean the Rio Uaupes and Icana systems, upper Rio Negro, Brazil.

Ive got a few nice pairs that reproduce relatively easily and i am slowly getting them distributed to hobbyists throught the UK. Wild imports are now slowly creeping into the hobby in Europe.
Mark...

hey mark how much do you sell pairs for? and also do you have any other types of apistogrammas for sale at mo?

Alex18

5 Year Member
hi there, i cant help but asking how much would a pair of Apistogramma diplotaenia, or the other Apisto in question the Apistogramma elizabethae. go for? as people are saying they are expensive and rare and yet i havent actually seen any in my area and was wondering how much would one need to shell out to aquire them? and where?

Alex

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….