• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pike cichlid ID help

Jwitho

Member
Messages
90
Any update on your pikes?? How are they doing, any sign of spawning?
No sign of spawning yet, male I find tends to be very easily stressed and I find he hides around the surface skimmer and wave maker a lot
Female is much more out going and is cruising the whole tank constantly
They’re definitely a Wallacia though, barely any growth in the time I’ve had them, I’d have expected a much larger fish if they were crenicichla by now
 

Jwitho

Member
Messages
90
IMG_8851.jpeg
IMG_8865.jpeg

The pikes have developed into incredibly nice fish, the male has shown courtship signs but the female has had 0 interest in him
I do believe that I could have missed my window of opportunity with them
 

Mazan

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Messages
455
Exactly what happened with mine, a shame but yes, they are very nice fish.
Well not exactly as I had mine for a few years before separating them and attempting to breed them. But like yours the male displayed often but the female seemed uninterested though at one point she looked quite fat . Eventually after several months of getting on ok, the male started attacking the female so that she was hiding all the time, only emerging for food. That’s when I gave up and put them back in the big tank. I believe they are difficult to breed and need very specific conditions. But I think the best chance would be to start with a group of juveniles and see if a pair forms, rather than trying a random male and female together. And not waiting too long…
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
18,793
Messages
125,222
Members
13,677
Latest member
marka2018

Latest profile posts

Re-designing and starting a new fish room all over again. This time we'll have many more Apistsogramma species. We are expanding.
dimandobson wrote on Arnold's profile.
hi
dimandobson wrote on Ben Bergman's profile.
Hi Bergman. I have a pair of breeding dwarf cichlid for sale. if you are still looking, drop me your whatsapp number and i will send some videos to your whatsapp
martin_c wrote on illumnae's profile.
Hi,

just in case you happen to live in Germany (or Netherlands): I have a wildcaught female A. psammophila, you could have it for free. I have no use for it anymore.

BR
Martin
Top