• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone know of some high quality videos of apistos sifting through sand?

fyrefish

Member
Messages
54
I see my apisto sifting sand through its gills a lot and it is really cool behavior to see. I often will crush up pellet food and scatter it across the sand a bit to the fish can sift through to find it. It's always a bit hard to see though, and I haven't been able to get a good video myself, so I was wondering if anyone knew of some videos of it, because i thought it would be cool to see closer.
 

MacZ

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Messages
4,437
Location
Germany
Mine never "sifted" sand. they simply moved it out of the way. There's a difference.
The tendency to really sift through sand varies from species to species. I would say it is a given that the usual mode of feeding always includes some kind of picking, chewing or sifting things from the ground.
The idea of scattering food particles all over the bottom of a tank is optimal in my opinion as it gives the fish the option to follow that foraging behaviour so they have to work for their food. Perfect example of enrichment for animals in captivity.
 

martin_c

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
60
Location
Germany
I can't find the source right now, i read it in a magazine, that they discovered a
special sticky organ in the mouths/gills of Apistogramma (maybe in other geophagines too) where
microbic food and fats stick to when sifting sand. Maybe someone here knows more.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
18,788
Messages
125,148
Members
13,674
Latest member
landmarkglobales

Latest profile posts

Re-designing and starting a new fish room all over again. This time we'll have many more Apistsogramma species. We are expanding.
dimandobson wrote on Arnold's profile.
hi
dimandobson wrote on Ben Bergman's profile.
Hi Bergman. I have a pair of breeding dwarf cichlid for sale. if you are still looking, drop me your whatsapp number and i will send some videos to your whatsapp
martin_c wrote on illumnae's profile.
Hi,

just in case you happen to live in Germany (or Netherlands): I have a wildcaught female A. psammophila, you could have it for free. I have no use for it anymore.

BR
Martin
Top