• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma d29

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hi all!

I recently saw that Ruinemans, have a. D29, listed, so out of curiosity, i wanted to hear if any of you have any experience with them?
Are they to be kept as Mac’s, aggression, any pictures to share as it’s quite sparse on the web, etc..

Thanks in advance

-r

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
As for their looks: they look exactly like A. sp. Schwarzkehl (the only difference in this regard may be the rate and/or distinctness with which brooding females show a black throat).

Tom C

5 Year Member
Yes, the females look a little bit different in breeding dress:

A. sp. "Schwarzkehl":

resizeimage.aspx

A. sp. "D29":

resizeimage.aspx

The habitats:
We collected the A. sp. "Schwarzkehl" in residual water inside such oases, on the Colombian plains; Llanos:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

and also in small and slightly larger ponds more openly accessible:

resizeimage.aspx

A. sp. "D29", on the other hand, were collected almost 200 km away, and in a relatively large river.
We found the fish mostly right up to sandy banks, completely without any protection from branches or leaves:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

We also found some specimens among leaf litter and under branches in other parts of the river, like here:

resizeimage.aspx

and we found a few specimens a few meters from the main river, up in a tiny stream:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

I doubt anybody has travelled all the way to the A. sp. "D29"-habitat, to collect a few apistos. So I'll guess the fish in Ruineman's tank are descendants of the specimens we collected here in 2017.
We traveled to the habitat in a spectacular fashion: in the back of a pickup truck usually used to transport cows:

resizeimage.aspx

The seats were loose, so it was a matter of holding on all the time:

resizeimage.aspx

Here the cow **** has flowed down on the outside (and it was the same on the inside!)

resizeimage.aspx

a long ride on endless llanos:

resizeimage.aspx

but we finally arrived here, which we found out is the home of A. sp. "D29", a beautiful fish:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Thanks for the nice report Tom!
The fish sold be Ruinemans are for sure descendants of the specimens collected by you/Ernst - there are still some people in the Netherlands keeping them.

And just to show a D29 female that I would not be able to tell apart from Schwarzkehl:

Jesse Koster 3.jpg

(photo by Jesse Koster)

Tom C

5 Year Member
Wow! Thank you for this information, Frank.
We probably can't rely solely on the human eye here. We need a mapping, analysis and comparison of the total genetic material here to see how much, if anything, separates these two forms.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
thank you SO MUCH, both of you. this is fantastic.
fish from the macmaster complex is very much on my wishlist, so pictures and info like this great.

do you think a pair would do in a 75 liter?
also, what other fish did you find in these waters? -here i'm mostly thinking of candidates as dither fish.

-r

Tom C

5 Year Member
do you think a pair would do in a 75 liter?
That depends mostly on the tank's footprint, not the amount of liters. A 75cmx40cm footprint and 25cm height might work, but the bigger footprint the more interesting behavior might be observed.
Of course it also depends what kind of structures you'll put in there...

also, what other fish did you find in these waters? -here i'm mostly thinking of candidates as dither fish.
In the river where we collected the A. sp. "D29", we did not see many other fishes. The only ones I spotted, was in a photo I took below the surface in the main river:

resizeimage.aspx

I have no idea what they are. Maybe a Tyttocharax sp. or something similar?

In all the habitats were we found A. sp. "Schwarzkehl", there were lots of Copella eigenmanni (= C. metae):

resizeimage.aspx

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Thanks again..
The tank is a “standard european” 75 liter. (-if there is such a thing). It meassures 65x33x38cm.

I think i’ll have to pass, though i desperately have the “get the apisto” itch…

-r

anewbie

With good scaping you could do either borelli or pucallpaensis; both of these are white water fishes if that matters. The pucallpaensis is really an attractive fish if that matters; also it is quasi pair forming with the male/female having not so much aggression once they breed.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
With good scaping you could do either borelli or pucallpaensis; both of these are white water fishes if that matters. The pucallpaensis is really an attractive fish if that matters; also it is quasi pair forming with the male/female having not so much aggression once they breed.
Thanks!! I think i’ll save the money and wait till i can afford a larger tank and hopefully get some of the fish i really really want.

-r

MacZ

(-if there is such a thing)
Yes, but your tank is not a standard size. ;) It goes by length: 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120 cm. Depth and height may vary somewhat.

I think i’ll have to pass, though i desperately have the “get the apisto” itch…
Having looked at their list... uuuhhh... some nice Apistos there.
How about the others? Had them all? Or nothing clicking?

For the others:

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Having looked at their list... uuuhhh... some nice Apistos there.
How about the others? Had them all? Or nothing clicking?
Haven’t had them all but right now there is only d29, that clicks a bit.

-r

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….