• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's up with his mouth?

Luke3141

I am fairly new to apistos. I have had them for less than a year. I noticed today that my male seems to have black spots at the edges of his mouth. At first I thought it was just coloration that I had failed to notice, but on looking closer it looks like sand. I also looked back at old pictures and it was not there.

My questions are:

1. Is it sand/ is it something to be concerned about?
2. Is there something I should do about it?

What he looked like before:
IMG_0682.jpg

What he looks like now:
IMG_1134.jpg
IMG_1144.jpg

Thanks in advance. Y'all are the best!

MacZ

Impossible to tell from the pictures, sorry.

As long as the fish eats and doesn't show any signs of problems just keep observing.

Yvonne G

Administrator
5 Year Member
I see what you're talking about, but sorry to say, I don't know what it is. Does it seem to bother him? Does he dash at the substrate trying to rub it off?

Luke3141

I see what you're talking about, but sorry to say, I don't know what it is. Does it seem to bother him? Does he dash at the substrate trying to rub it off?
It doesn't seem to bother him so I haven't done anything. Plus I don't know what I would do anyways. But I thought I would check and see if anyone had ideas.

Luke3141

Update: I have continued monitoring. Occasionally the spots will go away on one or both sides for up to a day. Then they come back. I think this is my substrate which is Petco black sand (not super fine), getting stuck when filter feeding. It doesn't seem to be a big deal as it works out eventually, but I am planning to try to find some finer sand. Any suggestions for good quality fine sand?

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Most people use pool filter sand, which is the cheapest if you’re picking it up yourself. Sometimes this is pretty course, though. Play sand also works. If you’re having it shipped, you can often find the Caribsea sands for a decent price. Both “Sunset Gold” and “Moonlight” are very fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….