• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. Rio Tauhpo ?

MacZ

The bare fact that the word has au + h + p in the spelling tells me the word is unlikely to come from Spanish or Portugese. So I say it's a wrong spelling. My picks for possible hits are "Rio Tefe" and "Rio Napo". It could also be a misspelling of "Rio Tapajos", but there are no forms named after that one, to my knowledge.

Spelling it without the "h" I only find places in New Zealand so that is out.

I you look here, you will find the probably most extensive list of Apistos with correct naming. If you can't find anything even plausible to be the misspelled name, it's likely a fantasy/trade name.

Do you have a picture with that name?

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I you look here, you will find the probably most extensive list of Apistos with correct naming.
For the purpose of finding a name, this list is even better suited because it contains a distinct column with alternative names including trade names. However, it doesn't mention Rio Tauhpo either. If it is a misspelling, Rio Pauto and Rio Tahuayo come to my mind...

MacZ

For the purpose of finding a name, this list is even better suited because it contains a distinct column with alternative names including trade names. However, it doesn't mention Rio Tauhpo either. If it is a misspelling, Rio Pauto and Rio Tahuayo come to my mind...
Oh, I didn't know Tom has two lists on his site.

Eddiekay1010

The bare fact that the word has au + h + p in the spelling tells me the word is unlikely to come from Spanish or Portugese. So I say it's a wrong spelling. My picks for possible hits are "Rio Tefe" and "Rio Napo". It could also be a misspelling of "Rio Tapajos", but there are no forms named after that one, to my knowledge.

Spelling it without the "h" I only find places in New Zealand so that is out.

I you look here, you will find the probably most extensive list of Apistos with correct naming. If you can't find anything even plausible to be the misspelled name, it's likely a fantasy/trade name.

Do you have a picture with that name?
No picture yet, thanks for the link, that list is great.

Eddiekay1010

Here's a picture of the "Rio Tauhpo", any ideas? They're still on the small side

Attachments

• IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 170

MacZ

"Tahuayo" was a name I have been suspecting too (see my first post). However, the photos look like A. cf. eunotus A75 to me.
Oversaw that due to a line break, thought you were just putting names out there at that point. Not saying it is a "sp. Tuhuayo", but this really pushes it that way on the seller's side. Languages are my actual field of expertise, so now having seen the Tuhuayo I am pretty sure the seller (or wholesaler) must have gone from that name as a starting point.

Excellent example of how tradenames evolve in my opinion. One day when I have some free time I'll write a paper just for fun about fish misnomers. :D

Eddiekay1010

Oversaw that due to a line break, thought you were just putting names out there at that point. Not saying it is a "sp. Tuhuayo", but this really pushes it that way on the seller's side. Languages are my actual field of expertise, so now having seen the Tuhuayo I am pretty sure the seller (or wholesaler) must have gone from that name as a starting point.

Excellent example of how tradenames evolve in my opinion. One day when I have some free time I'll write a paper just for fun about fish misnomers. :D
That would be a very interesting read.

Eddiekay1010

Looks like A. cf. eunotus (Orangeschwanz/Orange-tail).
Hi, I still haven't been able to get a great shot of the male but I did get them to spawn for me. Seems like a huge spawn to me, but I've only spawned a few other species, this was the largest brood by far that I've seen, at least 30+ fry, not sure if that helps with narrowing down the ID. From your advice and looking in my books, I agree that its probably eunotus. Do these new pictures change anything in your mind with the ID.

Attachments

• IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3121.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3129.jpg
    IMG_3129.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 124

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….