• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. paucisquamis

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Congratulations. I miss seeing such surprises.
By the way the female looks just like my mendezi female (I guess it is obviously the case since the two species are closely related). I wonder if there are any morphological differences between the females of the two species at all.

Im a Doughball

Thank you. Personally I find little resemblance to mendezi. If the differences in caudal pattern, or lack thereof, wasn't enough, the differences in the lateral sub band/bands should seal the deal.

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Thank you. Personally I find little resemblance to mendezi. If the differences in caudal pattern, or lack thereof, wasn't enough, the differences in the lateral sub band/bands should seal the deal.

My female mendezi doesn’t have any patterns on the caudal fin as far as I can observe. Does the paucisquamis females have a pattern on the caudal fin? The video doesn’t really show the details. I am yet to see any drawings or descriptions about the differences on the lateral sub band(s) but there could very well be some differences, I didn’t research very hard. I haven’t seen a female paucisquamis in detail while she was showing dark, prominent band patterns (not the brooding patterns) in real life either. They looked very similar from videos and general photos on the internet, indistinguishable even for someone like me who doesn’t know the key differences. o_O

Im a Doughball

Yes, puacisquamis females have a fine pattern/vertical banding in the caudal (just like the males, without the lyrate extensions or color), all of the female mendezi I have, have a very faint, mostly horizontal pattern/no pattern caudal (similar to M mendezi). The mendezi show multiple sub lateral bands, while the paucisquamis show only one sub lateral band (similar to bitaeniata). Having them both in the fishroom makes the differences fairly easy to spot, as google pictures leave quite a bit to be desired.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….