• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizii or cacatuoides

central tanks

Okay i have a 10 gallon tank with lots of sight breaks (using drift wood) and heavily planted. There is 3 or 4 pvc pipes for caves(one end buried in the substraight slightly slanted down word almost flat on substraight.

Water Parameters
TDS - 60
dGH - 3
dkh - 0 (color changes on first drop)
ph - 6.5

i was originally going to house a cac pair but kinda liking Agassizii now. My water parameters should be fine for both of them, space wise tho would this work? I know a 10 is slightly small but with the sight breaks and hiding spaces aggression shouldn't be to bad with CAC's, not sure about agassizii tho.

All input is welcome! Thanks!

bbetta

5 Year Member
What are the dimensions of the tank?
A. Cacatuoides and A. Agassizii are harem breeders, I wouldn't try them in a 10 gallon. A. Borellii would be the safest choice here. Maybe a pair of Macmasteri would work.

Many years ago I tried Cacs in a 10 gallon and the female killed the male right after the second spawning. Two years ago I tried Cacs in a 20 gallon and I had the male chase the female frequently. Maybe a trio would work in a 20, but a trio in a 10 is too crowded IMO.

central tanks

interesting.. I have heard tons of people say A.Cacatuoides would do fine as a pair in a 10 gallon since there not very aggressive. Perhaps the times I heard about were just for spawning purposes and then they were separated. I definitely would not put a trio in the 10 either.

iv never considered the Borellii before as I don't find them as nice looking. Do they stay around the same size as the Cacs and Agazi. I know Macs can get a little bigger sometimes, there females getting to the size of cac females.

chappy6107

5 Year Member
most of my cacs are pretty aggressive. especially after breeding. 10 gallon would not work for mine.

central tanks

i guess ill look into grabbing a 20 gallon long, and just transferring the plants and everything over. With a standard 20 gallon long I should be perfectly capable of getting a trio of aggazii right? or should I still stick to just a pair at that size (noted there harem breeders not pairing fish)

bbetta

5 Year Member
Α 20 Long is by far the best choice. A trio of either Cacs or Agassizii should work. I'd go with Agassizii as I find them to be prettier.

central tanks

Guess ill start looking for a 20 gallon long, and looking for more drift wood. Definitely will need a lot more to fill a 20 gallon long lol.

central tanks

Will do, ill have to read up on how to do that the right way, i know there's thread for it. Will be grabbing some drift wood and a 20 gal this weekend and will be getting it set up (hopefully). I've decided not to move my plants and stuff from my 10 gallon. Ill just go the biotop direction, maybe just some Jungle val and crypt plants.

bbetta

5 Year Member
Nice! Keep us posted and remember when you choose the tank, Length comes first, followed by width. Height won't make any difference in dealing with aggression.

central tanks

Hi all, I haven't been able to grew Vallisneria successfully in soft water.

cheers Darrel

Well im getting an North American variety of Val. I will be using capsule dosing(since i already have some). If it all dies off i know not to try again lol.

Nice! Keep us posted and remember when you choose the tank, Length comes first, followed by width. Height won't make any difference in dealing with aggression.

I went and picked up a 20 gallon long dimensions are around 30L - 12 1/2W - 12 1/2H. I have a bunch of driftwood that im waiting for right now. Ill be using pool filter sand. Ill post plants im looking at getting, not all are south american but owell.

Gymnocoronis Spilanthoides
Vallisneria Americana var. americana
Cryptocoryne petchii
Java Ferns
Sword Melon Pot(Echinodorus osiris)
Frogbite

I plant to have half the tank be heavier planted then fade out to just sand with the Melon Sword on the opposite side. Kepping most of the wood work twords the planted side with peices driffting into the sandier side. I will be using Dried Casulo pods and Savu pods as cave structures. Will be using a small amount of leaf litter spread around as well.

Plan on getting a trio of Agassiz double reds. ( or metallic blue double reds) they kinda look the same to me tho. Will be using a sponge filter for filtration although im sure there will be dead spots with only using one sponge filter for the length of the tank.

Any tips/ ideas are always welcomed!

bbetta

5 Year Member
Any tips/ ideas are always welcomed!

Well I believe something nice is in the making!

Just one thing to keep in mind. When decorating the tank, you should remember that two territories with adequate cover and visible boundaries should be created. The 2 opposite sides of the tank are the most suitable places to do this. I'd place a couple of pods on each side and build up hardscape and vegetation around these areas.I understand the whole "fading-out idea" as it'll be an nice thing to do "aquascaping-wise" and it's probably what I'd do too. Just keep in mind that two territories should be made, with some extra space for the male in the middle.

bbetta

5 Year Member
Also, I think you'll need something bigger for filtration. If you're planning to add other fish or raising the fry in this tank (meaning you'll pollute the water with overfeeding), you'll definitely will. Circulation in the surface and no dead spots will aid in the eggs not getting fungus.

Billy :)

central tanks

Ya i will probably ditch the fading out idea, and make the middle of the tank a little more clear of an area, still giving the male places to hangout. Ya i have to left over sponge filters, So i may put one on each side of the tank, one in the front on the left and the other in the back on the right. This way may make a cull circulation of the tank, i can adjust out floe on both to avoid there being to much current. I will likely not be keeping other fish in this tank, `except for maybe a group of Ottos. Fry i wouldnt keep in the tank either (long term). Id probably leave them in the main tank till they start becoming prey for parents then move them to a 10 or 15 to grow out. Im not to worried about rearing fry, i am aware with a trio of these fish there is large potentiol to get lots of fry.

central tanks

Looks good! Looking forward to hear more of your project!

Thanks! Ill be sure to keep you updated on the progress. Just plasty dipped the back of my tank, first time ever painting a tanks back, it worked really great can be peeled right off if needed. Really only waiting on my drift wood, since i cant really do anything till its here. Then plants will be on there way next. Gonna take it slow and do it right.

chappy6107

5 Year Member
Thanks! Ill be sure to keep you updated on the progress. Just plasty dipped the back of my tank, first time ever painting a tanks back, it worked really great can be peeled right off if needed. Really only waiting on my drift wood, since i cant really do anything till its here. Then plants will be on there way next. Gonna take it slow and do it right.

what did you use for the plasty dip? paint it on or did you have a container big enough to "dip" the tank in?

central tanks

I just used spray able plastydip. Comes just like spray paint. Just put down like 4-5 coats. The can says it takes like 30 min to dry but it's dry in 5min so every 5min I did a coat. It looks pretty good and can just be scrubbed off

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….