• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

List of A-numbers with current scientific name

JosVermeulen

I was wondering if there was an (updated) list of the A-numbers with their current name? I have the DATZ book but that's from 2005 and since then new apistos have been found and others have been given an official scientific name.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As far as I know, no one is adding to the A-numbers. Unlike C-numbers for corys there is no one like Ian Fuller, who has actual physical access to the many new species of corys. Ian requires the actual fish and not just photos, plus behavioral, collection, and breeding information before he is willing to assign a new C-number. I know of no one with the knowledge, access - and time - to dedicate to such a project.

As one of the minor players who helped put together the DATZ book, I've had problems with A-numbers from the start. The DATZ book, logically IMHO, put apisto species in its pages by species-group/complex. Then it used consecutive A-numbers. Now, if someone decided to add new species with A-numbers how would you add them? What numbers would you assign to A. kullanderi, A. eleutheria, and A. flavipedunculata? These are all newly described species closely related A. sp. Peixoto (A-39) and probably form a separate species-complex. In 2005 we put Peixoto right in the middle of the Xingu-complex due to its physical similarities to A. sp. Xingu. Do we now put them at the end of the A-number list after A-243/A. agassizii (which includes at least 2 different species) or do we use something like (A-39a, b, c, etc.) where the fish are placed with more closely related species? It all becomes rather cumbersome.

JosVermeulen

I know that there's a big issue with the way it has been set up, since there's no room to add more fish to the same species-group/complex since the numbers are consecutive. But my main question was if there's an updated list with the current A-numbers we have that were currently unidentified or had names like A. sp. Papagei and now have official names like A. ortegai (though, if I remember correctly, A. ortegai is actually three species, so maybe not the best answer).

And since you're responding anyways, Mike, do you know any more up-to-date books when it comes to Apistogrammas that are good? I know Cichlid Atlas vol. 1 by Römer was good, but that's already been a while.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I update my apisto species list as I learn of new descriptions of previously undescribed species and newly discovered species. It's a never-ending process. So yes, I keep a list of new species names and their old A-number. My list has about 230 apistos that I consider separate species and about half as many 'forms' that might be separate species. It's now almost 20 pages of 10 pt. type. That's a lot of text to put out on the web so I don't expect it to be published ... and I expect many new species soon, now that Colombia is safer for hobbyists to collect.

As for books, nothing comprehensive (or close to it) has been published in past 10 years. Römer's Cichlid Atlas 2 adds to CA1 but isn't comprehensive. The latest web-based information on apistos is probably on Martin & TomC's web site (http://apisto.sites.no/) and here.

JosVermeulen

I update my apisto species list as I learn of new descriptions of previously undescribed species and newly discovered species. It's a never-ending process. So yes, I keep a list of new species names and their old A-number. My list has about 230 apistos that I consider separate species and about half as many 'forms' that might be separate species. It's now almost 20 pages of 10 pt. type. That's a lot of text to put out on the web so I don't expect it to be published ... and I expect many new species soon, now that Colombia is safer for hobbyists to collect.

As for books, nothing comprehensive (or close to it) has been published in past 10 years. Römer's Cichlid Atlas 2 adds to CA1 but isn't comprehensive. The latest web-based information on apistos is probably on Martin & TomC's web site (http://apisto.sites.no/) and here.

Could that document perhaps be uploaded somewhere for us to consult? Maybe Martin & TomC's web site? Or is this something you'll only do when the many new species arrive?

Thanks anyways for doing all of this.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Tom has an old list already, and it required many hours to modify for a web site. Maybe he would be interested at some time but not right now. He has a long vacation planned away from snowy Norway later this month. Lucky guy.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rileylouie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….