• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie questions

Phile

Hi all, Very true, plants are the thing that make water management easier. They should produce a jet of water if you have an uplift tube that ends above the surface, sponge filters are much more effective with an up-lift tube. Have a look at Mike's comments in <"10 gallon apisto setups">.

I like the look of the Czech type jetlifters that Stephan Tanner sells in the USA <"jetlifters - Swiss Tropicals"> (made in Germany by Beck & Harich).

cheers Darrel
I have always used the Hydro sponge filters that I got online from That Pet Place. Inexpensive, easy to use, replacement sponges available, great for small tanks. I used them for my jollies.

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member

Attachments

• 20161115_185354.jpg
    20161115_185354.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 393
  • 20161115_185421.jpg
    20161115_185421.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 406

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have found this silica sand that is used for sandfilters. It´s size is 0,4-0,8mm. It´s supposed to be pre-washed.
Is this a good choice for apistos. Will it clog up?

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi all,It is fine, a lot of people use it. Have a search for <"pool filter sand"> on the forum.

cheers Darrel

Hi,

I tested my sand. It raises conductivity. I tested by putting 2 tsp of sand into a cup of DI water for over 24 hours.
5 µS before. 18 µS after. Do I have to make more tests (KH/GH) or is it useless as a substrate? As it seems to leach something.

gerald

5 Year Member
That's still a negligible amount of conductivity. The solubility of silicate is very small and won't harm the fish; nor will it raise KH or GH, if silicate is the main ion dissolving from it.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I tested my sand. It raises conductivity. I tested by putting 2 tsp of sand into a cup of DI water for over 24 hours. 5 µS before. 18 µS after. Do I have to make more tests (KH/GH) or is it useless as a substrate? As it seems to leach something.
Did the water warm up while it was in the cup (ie. was the original DI water cold)? If it warmed up some of the rise in conductivity will be to do with temperature.
That's still a negligible amount of conductivity. The solubility of silicate is very small and won't harm the fish; nor will it raise KH or GH, if silicate is the main ion dissolving from it.
I agree with Gerald, it is a small rise in conductivity, and I think it should be OK to use.

It could be traces of calcium carbonate left in the silica sand, bur they would only be traces.

cheers Darrel

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Did the water warm up while it was in the cup (ie. was the original DI water cold)? If it warmed up some of the rise in conductivity will be to do with temperature.

I agree with Gerald, it is a small rise in conductivity, and I think it should be OK to use.

It could be traces of calcium carbonate left in the silica sand, bur they would only be traces.

cheers Darrel

Hi,

The water was at room temperature the whole time. Will it stop leeching eventually?

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Yes!

1st spawn from my Cacatuoides . I ´ve kept tanks for 20+ years and this is the first time I see free swimming fry.
The most spectacular thing! I just saw mom coming home from behind the Java bush and "puking" 10+ fry!

Amazing parents. Kicking tetras asses constantly. Haven´t seen any predation from Cardinals.

In pic whole family at "peat pit" having fun!

Attachments

• 20161226_151509.jpg
    20161226_151509.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 422

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Do you think my smaller tank is too small for breeding with dithers?
My Cacatuoides male picks up a couple of fry and beats up hatchets and the tetras even they stay on surface and and in the opposite corner.
3 of my hatchets has lost half of their tail fins.

I removed the male to my bigger tank so that the dithers have time to heal.

gerald

5 Year Member
Why do cichlid parents attack fish that look like they could eat their fry? Think real hard ...
In the wild they would probably chase away any fish within about 3 feet of their fry.

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

Is this peat particle dirt that comes from water changes harmful to plants? Will it hinder their ability to harvest nutrients?
I personally don´t mind how my moss looks.

Attachments

• 20170325_195924.jpg
    20170325_195924.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 383

gerald

5 Year Member
Blow the peat off the plants with a baster or pipette if a thick layer settles on them. A little wont harm them. Peat in the substrate is good for plants.

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

In how soft/acidic water can you keep snails in? I have malaysian trumpet snails in my 15 gallon tank with "peatwater" and some peat as a substrate.
Conductivity has been lately at 80 µS.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
In how soft/acidic water can you keep snails in? I have malaysian trumpet snails in my 15 gallon tank with "peatwater" and some peat as a substrate. Conductivity has been lately at 80 µS.
I think you are getting towards the limit of what even MTS will survive.

Have a look at the end of the shell spire, the snail can only make new shell at the mantle, and as the water gets softer and more acidic the older shell whorls will become whiter as they erode. There is a more complete discussion at <"UKAPS:Nerite snails in a high...." >

I've found that if the white eroded zone has spread more than about 2/3 of the way down the shell, your snails are doomed.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….