• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yellow Gold cacatuoides

bhargis

5 Year Member
I purchased a pair of cacatuoides last summer at a club auction so I know no history of the pair. Good pair and good spawns. I have noticed that about 10 percent of the spawn look like the yellow gold in the Species Profile of this forum. It says this form is weaker. Is this worth pursuing? Should I try to spawn the Yellow Gold to Yellow Gold or with one of the normal colored siblings?

Thanks

Bob

nc_nutcase

5 Year Member
My personal views are that inbreeding should be avoided…

There are cases where inbreeding can be used to strengthen a line or bring out a characteristic, but more often than not it weakens the offspring. So unless your thoroughly familiar with the pros and cons, I would either fully avoid it or thoroughly educate yourself on the subject.

By all means cater to the Gold fry and feel free to share/sell them to whomever, but I would avoid spawning siblings.

As a buyer, I would feel cheated if I paid full price for a fish to later find out that it was the result of a sibling spawn. If you do spawn siblings please inform the potential buyers of the parentage.

All too often in the aquarium hobby hobbyists buy “a group†(which are usually siblings) and grow them out to achieve a pair. Then spawn brother to sister and sell the offspring cheap. Then someone buys a group from them and does the same thing. This is one of the biggest reasons why aquarium strains are typically weaker than wild strains.

bhargis

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. I do agree with you that inbreeding should be avoided. Line breeding is preferred to bring out the recessive genes. Many of the color morphs we see are due to inbreeding and line breeding our strains. If I was to breed this Yellow Gold to a Yellow Gold sibling then more recessive and defective genes would show up. I could breed to a normal colored sibling and if the sibling carried the recessive then I should get about 50% Yellow Gold if it was a simple recessive gene.

I was mainly wondering about continuing with the Yellow Gold. I really don't find this color morph to as good looking as the original cacatuoides and I was just trying to gauge the groups opinions.

Thanks
Bob

nc_nutcase

5 Year Member
I recently restarted a 125 Gal Apisto Cac Colony tank. I started with 6 males (2 Triple Red, 2 Yellow/Gold, 2 Orange Flash). The Yellow/Gold are by far the least pretty… The Triple reds are as beautiful as I’ve always known them to be and the Orange Flash I got this time were even better looking than the ones I raised a couple years ago.

I think the Yellow/Gold hold their value because they are ‘the new strain’, but I suspect as this newness wears off so will interest in this color morph. That is unless the Apisto Masters do some tweaking to make them a little prettier…

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….