• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yellow Cockatoo Male

danval

Hi all. Is it common to get a yellow male from a super red spawning? I do like him but I have on sold him. What do you guys think? Cheers
404463066.jpg

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
I'm guessing its just a question of recessives. Sooner or later a recessive gene is going to come out in the fry.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I had some yellow ones from a double red pair, I assume that it is just the natural variation in the amount of red colour pigment. I assume also think that you could select a yellow strain in exactly the same way as you could breed for darker red colour or a greater number of coloured fins.

Chequering is slightly different, black chequering is dominant, so heterozygous chequered adults could be potentially produce plain finned offspring, but "Orange Flash" (homozygous) parents will always produce unchequered off-spring.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I wouldn't be surprised is adding more color enhancing foods to their diet would change the yellow to orange or red
I obviously don't know about this one, but with mine they all had a carotenoid rich diet, so it was definitely a genetic variation.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….