• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

will A. cacatuoides breed in tank w/ a lot of fish?

R

Rafa

I have a 26g long planted tank (36 x 16 x 10) my pH = 6.0, kH = 3. I have the following fishes in the tank:

3 A. cacatuoides(1m/2f)
11 cardinal tetras
1 SAE
2 guppies
2 pygmy gourami
1 Dicrossus filamentosa
1 albino bristlenose pleco
4 Otto
1 licorice gourami
tiny ramshorn snails.

I want to know whether the A. cacatuoides will breed in this type of community? There are at least several caves made up of natural driftwood and rock formations. One of the female is about 1" and the other is 1.5". The male is 1.75". I've had them for a little more than a month and so far the females havent laid eggs. Does A. cacatuoides shy from breeding if there are too many fishes around?

Should I remove any of the fishes in the tank? If so which ones? Or will they pose a threat to the frys? I would rather keep all off them.

Would the eggs be safe from the snails?

Thanks in advance. Hope someone can help.
Raf

ARWoodi

5 Year Member
A breeding apisto in a community tank is always at risk to the frys.

I once had a gibbicep, cacatuoide, and agasiizii spawn in my community tank only the agasiizii frys made, the other two species frys didnt make it. To me it all depend on the parent, if they are mature and bold enough to ward off "intruders" and of course a lots of hiding place will be an advantage too. The best way is still to a have a species tank for the breeding pair. If you dont have any extra tank then let nature take its course.

Snails to me does not pose any danger to the eggs or fry especially those ramshorn snail.. I've seen my apisto cracking up my ramshorn and munching away the flesh. Other bigger snail such as apple snail, or any snail larger than a 15cm diameter is a no no to me...

Good luck.

Apistt_ed

Cacatuoides are definitely going to breed in a community tank like that... but there will not be too many fry who will survive because of the constant threats. Either the parents will end up eating the clutch or wrigglers because of the heightened threats or they will become a snack for everything else in the tank.

The "problem" fish(es) that would prey on the eggs/fry are the 11 Cardinals 8O ! The breeding pair might be able to handle two or three cardinals/neons but because they are many times quicker than apistos and out number them also, the chances for fry is minimal!! Gouramis, even pygmy ones, can be very aggressive and can pose a threat but not as much as the cardinals. Depending on how aggressive the gouramis are and where they tend to "hang out" in the tank, they may or may not pose a threat. The licorice gourami is far too timid to even go near the pair of cacatuoides during breeding so they don't pose any danger either. I love the way they look in my apisto tanks also! Great little gouramis they are!
And If you absolutely want fry or babies at all, the Pleco HAS to be removed from the tank. You could try your luck with it in there, but because it is active in low light conditions and nocturnal, even the best parents can't defend their clutch when they are sleeping! The ottos and SAEs are sufficient algae munchers and WILL NOT touch the fry/eggs, the pleco WILL!
As for other dwarf cichlids in the tank, I've had Trifasciatas and cacatuoides breed in my community tank with A. Bitaenias and have had success but have noticed that the # of babies that grow to "point of guaranteed safety" (3/4") is significantly less than in species tanks all by themselves... but that's with 4 full grown (and unusually aggressive) male bitaenias. I don't think the dicrossus will cause a threat as the parents can fend him off fine and as for the guppies, they are usually at the top of the tank and so you shouldn't worry about them.. GOOD LUCK!

john

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….