• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Congochromis dimidiatus?

Ekona

5 Year Member
This one pair came in as C. sabinae, which I would have been happy to have, but as it turns out, they look a whole lot more like C. dimidiatus. ID opinions welcomed.

If, in fact, that is what they are, I guess I'll just have to make do with them;):cool:.

I will do my best to spawn them.

Female ~ 3.5 to 4cm
LFlE78.jpg

To1UDJ.jpg

WxretK.jpg

Male ~ 4.5cm
Ug2pmd.jpg

erEIun.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
This female was looking ripe...
1cNUcD.jpg

So I removed the glass separation from the tank and the pair began a wonderful display dance...what a neat species :cool:
5bp65l.jpg

BqPLzY.jpg

IQwUz7.jpg

JQOEs5.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
No silver scales=N. dimidiatus, at least as we understand the fish to be right now! I think several species get grouped together to make that species though. Or at the least there are several distinct populations. Depends if you are a lumper or a splitter I guess.

Ekona

5 Year Member
No silver scales=N. dimidiatus, at least as we understand the fish to be right now! I think several species get grouped together to make that species though. Or at the least there are several distinct populations. Depends if you are a lumper or a splitter I guess.

Actually it would be C. (Congochromis) dimidiatus (as it currently stands) depending on if you are a lumper or a splitter...
See Mike's post: http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/new-dwarf-cichlid-genus-congochromis.6570/

Looks like Congochromis is comprised of 5 species -
C. dimidiatus. C. robustus, C. sabinae, C. squamiceps and C. pugnatus.
There are links to the descriptions of both C. pugnatus and C. robustus on the internet, but I cannot find any photos of live specimens of either species - I wonder if they have ever been kept in the hobby?

I have seen live C. squamiceps about 15-20 years ago (but never since), C. sabinae about 10 years ago, and this is the first time I've seen live C. dimidiatus. There are several reports of successful breeding of C. dimidiatus and sabinae, but they don't appear to be well established in the hobby.

Anybody currently keeping/breeding any Congochromis species at this time? Please chime in!

Ekona

5 Year Member
Thanks for photos - they look similar. I've heard of C. sp. Leza, but I have not seen what the distinguishing features are between that form and others. Did you breed them?

Ekona

5 Year Member
After wondering if the pair was ever going to spawn and fearing the female might burst if she got any fatter, raising the temp to ~77F and doing a 25% water change with tannin-rich, softer water did the trick!

Just prior to spawning
sFuE6j.jpg

Just after spawning in the 'apisto-hut' behind her.
wtVOOQ.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
9 days after spawning, the female has brought out her first brood of free-swimming fry.
aLClDY.jpg

i2BaPi.jpg

And now I am officially maxed out on F1 fry from three rather rare and nice dwarf cichlids. Hopefully I can distribute some to interested aquarists via trade or sell.

themountain

5 Year Member
I would love to get some of that little ones, but Peru is too far away I am afraid :/
Anyway, astonishing how the coloration changes in brood care to something like Apisto yellow :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….