• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Apistogramma macmasteri.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Ive only bred Apistogramma macmasteri once before despite it being a commonly seen fish in fishshops up and down the country.. That was several years ago so when i had the oportunity to import wild fish from Columbia i jumped at it, unfortunately the first two imports of macmasteri were A.alcrina and A.cacatuoides!!! then A.viejita showed up on the list, knowing that it was almost certainly not viejita i ordered them expecting macmasteri. When they arrived it was a real mixed bag, only 8 macmasteri arrived, the rest were a mix of Iniridae, sp 'Broadband' and even a few cacatuoides(The Columbian exporter in Bogata obviously has links to the very north of Columbia/South Peru)
Anyway i setup a nice pair of largish wild macmasteri and two months later ive been rewarded with my first spawn, i knew they had spawned but didnt know when!! i was suprised to see aprox 80 freeswimming fry this morning when doing my feeding.. They are stunning fish and im glad i kept a pair for myself..

Male.
DSCF3223.jpg

DSCF3221.jpg

Female..
DSCF3213.jpg

DSCF3196.jpg

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
unfortunately the first two imports of macmasteri were A.alcrina and A.cacatuoides!!!, then A.viejita showed up on the list, knowing that it was almost certainly not viejita i ordered them expecting macmasteri. When they arrived it was a real mixed bag, only 8 macmasteri arrived, the rest were a mix of Iniridae, sp 'Broadband' and even a few cacatuoides

I ordered 3 times iniridae.
The first time: there´re just A. sp. "Rotpunkt". Fortunatelly, they were new for me and for Argentina.
Second: A. sp. Rotpunkt, again.
Third: I bought them 2 weeks ago and they´re so little that I can´t tell you what they are but, lucky me, they are not A. sp. "Rotpunkt".

(The Columbian exporter in Bogata obviously has links to the very north of Columbia/South Peru)

It´s the opposite, South Colombia/North Peru :wink:

Besides, really nice fishes. Congratulations!

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Although one does expect to get what one orders most of the time I still miss the "good old days" when Apistogramma were sold as "assorted' or "mixed".
I found some real gems over the years and they were not very popular so they were cheap. $25/100 was not as cheap as some batches.
But now Apistogramma tend to be $20 to $30 a pair so they are sorted better but whenever you get wild imports you still have a chance of finding something new to you. It was these surprises which were one of the things that got me initially so interested in this genus.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….