• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which types of cichlid should I choose?

Michael

5 Year Member
I have an established 29 gallon bow front tank. I want to put some type of cichlid in the tank but I dont know what kind I should purchase like the apistogrammas because the tank isn't big enough, but I cant find any apistos at my LFS. Any information would be grearly appreciated!

-Michael

aspen

5 Year Member
there are many types of dwarf cichlids that would be fine in that tank. doing some reading on this forum will provide you with lots of options. how long have you been into fishkeeping, and what types of fish have you kept?

mailorder would be a choice for new fish, or, maybe you can find someone on the list that has fish to sell that is nearby to you. where do you live? check the memberlist at the top of the page and see if there is anyone who lives close enough for a road trip.

how about a little more info about yourself in your profile?

rick

Michael

5 Year Member
Cichlids

This is my first tank and Iv'e had it up and running for about 8 months now. The only fish that I have ever had are tetras and rasbora except for my two german blue rams that died mysterisouly.

-Michael

aspen

5 Year Member
if you like blue rams, maybe you should try them again. they are not really a beginner's fish but then you are not really a beginner. if you have the basics of fishkeeping down, maybe they would be a good choice, if you can find some nice ones.

i have some keyhole cichlids (aequidens maronii) that seem very hardy. a pair would be ok in that tank, but small ones are not sexable. i got 4 and am raising them out till i get a pair out of them.

the list of possibilities is very long, really the best fish to buy are nice healthy ones, which will work for you, and that interest you. i keep my eyes on the fish stores to see what pops up, and buy the nice looking fish that interest me. i've made some mistakes, but have also been very lucky this way. the first thing you need is a quarentine tank. 10 gals is fine, and can be used later for a hospital tank etc.

rick

skwelch

5 Year Member
the first cichlid i ever got was the humble krib
completely underrated fish, can get some stunning looking males if you are patient and wait and dont just buy the first one you see
nearly every shop ive ever been in has some, so you shouldnt have any trouble getting them
they dont mind what water you keep them in, as long as its clean
give them a cave or hide and they might even give you babies without doing anything other than feeding them well

if you've never had cichlids before this is a good place to start and you'll quickly notice the familiar cichlid habits that i love about em so much

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(