• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which species is this?

Sverker Hahn

5 Year Member
Apistogrammasp2.jpg

I bought this pair under the name A. weisei, but haven´t seen any pics of it anywhere.

Male with powerful body, colors black and yellow with iridiscent spots and markings on head and sides.

gingerbeer

5 Year Member
Finally one I can get - Apistogramma Rotpunck - there is a description and lots of thought that it is Apistogramma alacrina - but desctiption isprobably a different locality.

I just got two over here in Oz - bought them as Apistogramma alacrina - and mine are small and both may be female. However there is a lot of displaying going on between them. One is distincly more yellow that the other - but neither are showing a blue face or lips - that is a giveaway of a male.

That is all I got from a week scouring the net and looking at my fish till I am cross-eyed

Hope it helps.

Steve

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello Sverker,

Any chance you can get a seperate shot from side from Male and Female ?

I do think that Gingerbeer is correct, but just want to make sure.
Like he says, we all go cross-eyed and each picture is different.
As stated in Mergus, they have been imported under A Weisei.

PS in which country are you ?
cheers Jan-kurt :biggrin:

Sverker Hahn

5 Year Member
Hello Sverker,

Any chance you can get a seperate shot from side from Male and Female ?

PS in which country are you ?
cheers Jan-kurt :biggrin:

I do not think I have better pics. They are slides from the 70s.

I am from Stockholm, Sweden. I have to edit my profile ...

/Sverker

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Steve. They are A. sp. Rotpunkt. It is not A. alacrina. Females of A. alacrina have a large black blotch that surrounds most of the base of the pectoral fins, plus a distinct black blotch around the anus. Photos of the paratype form of A. alacrina can be seen in:

DATZ Book - A. sp. Rotpunkt (ortegueza) A107
Aqualog SACII - A. sp. Red-point I S039353
Cichlid Atlas I - p. 903 top (same photo as in SACII) All of the photos of "A. alacrina" in Cichlid Atlas II are A. sp. Rotpunkt - not A. alacrina.

langosh

5 Year Member
I bought a pair of fish as A. alacrina a few days ago but after reading your comments I regarded them to be mislabeled A. sp. Rotpunkt. But I saw female in her breeding dress yesterday and black spot at the base of her pectoral fins was clearly visible. Or to be a true A. alacrina is blotch supposed to be visible even in her “normal mood†(because I didn’t noticed it until female guarding eggs) and MUST have black blotch around her anus? I try to take a picture and post it here ASAP...
Roman

langosh

5 Year Member
Here are two pictures. I´m sorry for the quality but it was taken in a hurry and the female refused to stand still for a moment...:biggrin:

AspRotpunktfemale.jpg

Roman

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. sp. Rotpunkt and A. alacrina are closely related. Females of both species have black pigment at the base of the pectoral fins. This color is more expansive on A. alacrina. The black anal patch is one of the diagnostic features of female A. alacrina. Female A. sp. Rotpunkt often have a ventral stripe that runs from the anus to the ventral fins. Your female appears to be a typical A. sp. Rotpunkt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….