• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which Apisto to choose...?

Rycraft

I have a 20 gallon heavily planted aquascape currently stocked with 8 Ember tetras, 4 Otocinclus and 10 Amano shrimp.

I have two caves built out of seiryu stone that could be used for spawning (if the pair decides they want to). Anyone have any experience with A. Borelli vs A. Trifasciata?

I like the look of both and they both seem to stay on the smaller side (less than 3 inches). I was looking at getting a pair of one or the other. I currently run the tank at around 72 F, but am fine bumping that up to 75 F (it will get a tad warmer than that during the summer just because it will be warmer in the house).

Temperament wise would either of these be a good option with my current stocking? I've read Borelli tends to be more peaceful than say A. Agassizii, but I haven't seen much about A. Trifasciata in terms of temperament.

Would one fair better than the other at temps below 75 F? I've read A. Borelli lives near mountain streams and has been found in temps as low as 50 F. I would never let the temp get that low obviously, but I do like running the tank more in the 72-74 F range as algae is less of an issue. Again, I don't care if they spawn, just want them to live happy and healthy.

If there's suggestions for Apistogramma species other than these two, feel free to throw those out there. I love the look of A. Agassizii but have just read they can be on the more aggressive side. I wouldn't mind just keeping a single male as well if that might be a better option.

I should note I would be purchasing tank bred if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• PXL_20210520_181418346.jpg
    PXL_20210520_181418346.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 225

yukondog

5 Year Member
Welcome Rycraft, I lean more towards the Borellii, there my favorite. What is your PH in the tank?

Aquaticloch

Welcome to the site, also you have a beautiful tank.
I agree with yukon, borelii would likely work better, i have kept aggasizii and they would likely not work well with the ottos, borelii are also much more timid and would look better in that tank imo.

Rycraft

@Aquaticloch thanks! Borelli was kind of the way I was leaning so that's what I'll probably end up doing. A lot of the other species seem to be a bit more of a wildcard in the temperament department.

Aquaticloch

macmasteri are also pretty fish and could work in that tank too, and yes apistos have very diverse temperaments but i think thats why i love 'em!

yukondog

5 Year Member
Even with Borellii, the females can be nice with the male on one or more batches and then, she can be hell on wheels and want to kill everything.
Do you have another establisher tank for the male if you decide to breed?

Samala

I love my borellii and highly recommend them. You could avoid breeding issues by keeping one male. They're very personable.

You didn't mention water hardness or TDS and the stone in your tank and use of fertilizers might impact that. Borellii won't mind harder water or higher TDS than most Apistos or the lower temperature you prefer.

You may not have many shrimplets show up if you add Apistos of any sort though. :)

Rycraft

Even with Borellii, the females can be nice with the male on one or more batches and then, she can be hell on wheels and want to kill everything.
Do you have another establisher tank for the male if you decide to breed?
I do have a 36 gallon, the only issue in there would be the male angel fish. He's mostly laid back though. He gets a little aggro during feeding if he feels the neon tetras are swarming him and stealing his food but the honey gourami can be eating right next to him and he doesn't care.

Rycraft

I love my borellii and highly recommend them. You could avoid breeding issues by keeping one male. They're very personable.

You didn't mention water hardness or TDS and the stone in your tank and use of fertilizers might impact that. Borellii won't mind harder water or higher TDS than most Apistos or the lower temperature you prefer.

You may not have many shrimplets show up if you add Apistos of any sort though. :)
Do they do well as single male specimens? I really don't care if they ever spawn, but most people always talk about pairs and one LFS only sells in pairs. The other doesn't but theirs can be difficult to sex due to often being a bit young.

I haven't tested Gh and Kh in about 2 months but Kh was 6 and Gh was 9. It's 5 and 8 out of the tap. TDS is usually about 240 by the end of the week before a water change and about 130 out of the tap.

I do 50-60% water changes once a week but am hoping to get that down to 30% or so once I get the ferts a little more dialed in and the tank finishes balancing. It about 3 months old now.

Last edited:

Samala

I have a subadult male who's been on his own for 4 months with some pencil fish tank mates. He might be my favorite of all my fish. Does great without a female so far. Had to have his own turf because he was 3x size of his siblings and quite bratty to them.

TDS sounds perfectly fine for nonbreeding borellii. I target 100-150ppm.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….