• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What tank size

chappy

5 Year Member
hi guys and gals,
Just a quick question, the missus bought me a 24x12x15 tank for christmas which I hope to plant, Just wondering if this is large enough to house a pair of dwarf cichlids and if so are there any which are particularly compatible or incompatible to such a wee tank.
Water quality is going to be from Ro as in hard water area so will adjust to suit somewhere about 6.5 I imagine.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers Marc

dw1305

5 Year Member
small tank

Hi all,
Marc, I think of you can without any problem if you follow the habitat instructions from Apistobob here <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php>. I haven't had any problem with aggression in this size of tank, possibly because I like extremely weedy, complex environments with lots of bogwood, coconut shells, clay pots etc. (as suggested by Apistobob).

I love the A. cacatuoides I keep, but if you want something a bit different and because you are in the UK, I'd also have a look at what species Mark (Microman) and Steve (Ste12000) have available, and ask them what they think would be suitable. If they have fish you like, I'd buy from them as well, because they really know what they are doing. The monogamous species would be good with your pH, a pair of any of A. baenschi, A. nijesseni or A. panduro, they are all beautiful.

My personal favourite out the smaller species is A. trifasciata, (although you would need at least 2 females). Personally if I had a spare tank, and could get quality stock, I'd go for A. borellii.

I haven't kept any of them, but the only ones I'd keep away from would be really big species, A. steindahneri A. "Rotpunkt", A. hongsloi etc., or those that tend to be aggressive (I believe A. atahualpa, A. "Papagei", A. "Pebas" etc. are big and quite fierce).

cheers Darrel

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Don't forget West Africans! A tank that size is perfect for a pair of small Pelvicachromis spp. or even some small Nanochromis.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. nijsseni tend to be more monogamous than most apistos. If a 'pair' are not compatible, you usually lose one. A. borellii, on the other hand, is an excellent beginner's apisto. They are very tolerant of variations in temperature and water values.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….