• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What parameters for sex ratio...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
pH is less important in sex determination than temperature. In most cases the lower pH range of a species' biotope tends to produce more males than females. pH, however, is important for producing viable eggs, especially in blackwater species. Because of this, it probably is best to breed each species in the mid-pH range for its biotope at around 79°F/26°C, first to produce viable eggs and then get an even ratio of each sex.

Dano1311

cheers Mike i have fry in the tank now and followed what you said above, ive between 150-200 fry swimming around with mum, never seen so many, im not expecting them all to survive though, but be interesting to see what sex ratio i get last time i ended up with more males. hoping even this time :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your sex ratio may still be skewed toward males if you don't raise most of the fry. More males tend to survive in a brood, probably because they are more aggressive when competing for food. They will grow larger and this leads to male outcompeting the females even more.

gerald

5 Year Member
If you have a spare tank, or can divide the tank, it might help to take a bunch of the smaller ones and raise them separate from the bigger ones, to help ensure that you get enough females.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….