• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what kind of nannacara...?

xtr-xtr

5 Year Member
hi to everyone!!!!!
i have this nannacara, but i dont know the name... Can some body help me???

DSCF00501.jpg

Neil

xtr-xtr,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Looks like N. anomala to me.

Note: When posting several large pics, please use their URL links on your post insead of the actual images.
Thanks,
Neil

xtr-xtr

5 Year Member
hi,

ok, my apologizes for dial users (I'm one) i take out 2 photos

I think, the fish is not an anomala. I see more anomalas in the shop and it dosent looks the same. this nannacara dosent have shining or metallic colors.
I buy it here (Barcelona), but i know it comes from England (someone reproduce it in captivity for first time)

Sorry for my poor english, next time i do it better

ddaquaria

5 Year Member
Looks like a female N. anomala. If i am correct females do not have the shining or metalic colors. When my female would get into a breeding mood she would turn very dark (much like the picture). I just added some N. anomala last week, so I will be able to verify this later.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member

Neil

I say female N. anomala also. Even in top form, females do not get the metallic sheen. Not the right color for an aureocephalus, and definately not adoketa.

It also isn't taenia. There is a remote possibility that it could be aureocephalus because of the remotely similar yellowish belly color, but I would definitely put my vote down for anomala.

Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
Nannacara anamola

Dear xtr-xtr,

You have a female Nannacara anamola there; a sweet little cichlid. Tank bred N. anamola can be found in a myriad of colors. Your Nannacara can't be N. aureocephalus because it lacks blue scale edging on the flanks.

Welcome! I think your English is just fine.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

xtr-xtr

5 Year Member
hi every body, i'm really happy for all the answers. :D :D :D

today i talk with the director of "Acuario Practico", it's a spanish magazine, he have another ones of this nannacaras and he has the same opinion as me.

He think the only way to know wich kind of nannacara is open it :cry:
i don't want to do this...but......

in another way, i'm reading more about subject and look more time the photos and fish, i note it have 3 lines in his eye like n. aureocephalus but the colour is not the same. N.aureocephalus have shinig yellow and red colours... this lines dosent be in n.anomala. then i think it's not an anomala female....

what do you think :?: :?: :?:

Randall

5 Year Member
Nannacara anamola

Dear xtr-xtr,

The dark head lines to which you refer are mood dependent in Nannacara. They tend to be more prominent when the fish are breeding and when stressed, N. anamola included. Please understand that tank raised N. anamola come in a variety of colors. Different breeders simply produce different colored fish. I've seen specimens that are bluish, turquoise, greenish or emerald green and fins that are brown, red or yellow. These extraordinary colors can be achieved through selective breeding.

Where speciation is concerned, coloration is not always a very good indication. Different wild populations of fish commonly exhibit a different coloration. Your fish can not be N. aureocephalus because N. aureocephalus is characterized, in part, by blue edging on the flank scales and a golden body coloration, especially on the head; hence, "aureocephalus," "gold head."

To make a more conclusive ID of your fish, please post a photo of a male.

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

F

firefly

sorry to dissagree but that is deffernately anomala female, i live in the uk and most N.anomala are exactly like that there (my company is responsable for about 70% of theese).
HTH

Dr Jason Bell

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'He think the only way to know wich kind of nannacara is open it '

you will get better value for the money you spent, to let it grow out a bit. colours and features will be more distinct as it matures. it looks like a nannacara anomala to me too, watch out for the other fish in that tank- she can be a nightmare when she breeds. i bought 8 small wild ones and there was only 1 fish left in 2 days, then it started killing my beckford's pencilfish before it got whacked. they can be a very agressive little fish, esp (ime) breeding females.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(