• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is this ?

Help me to ifentify this ?..

• Apistogramma Agazi..

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ferchi

What is this fish ...?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 379

MickeM

5 Year Member
By the way Mike..

The name Borelli is the original (Italian ?) name in this case ?? , not in honour of anyone called Borell..??

When name in honour of a male , you add an xtra i after the name ..?? (agassizii)
and if female, then an xtra e/ae ?? (elizabethae)
Correct ???

That`s the reason you use Borellii (2 ii ) ??

We live..and we learn....(hopefully!! ) :)

Many thanks!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
According to the original description (Regan, 1906), the type specimens of Heterogramma borellii were collected by "A. borelli". I don't really know who he was. In Latin, masculine possessive/genitive words end in 'i'. If the name ends in 'i', then a double 'i' is used.

Steindachner (1875) named the species "Geophagus (Mesops) agassizii" in honor of Louis S. B. Agassiz, leader of the Thayer Expedition (1865-6), who collected some of the type material in the Lago Maximo. I have no idea why Steindachner added 'ii' when only 1 'i' would be correct. Because the original name has 'ii', then this is the spelling used.

Kullander (1980) named A. elizabethae after Elizabeth Agassiz, wife of Louis, who accompanied her husband on the expedition. Since it was named for a lady, it uses the Latin feminine possessive/genitive suffix, 'ae'.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….