• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What IS this Fish???

bumblebee odyssey

5 Year Member
i'v been told its a Geophagus sp. "Altamira"

geophagus_altamira_gargouse.jpg

are they available in australia?... or better still can anyone give me a profile on them.... i.e: size and if they are ok in a maixed community tank??

thanx guys

Neil

bumblebee odyssey,

Don't know anything about them, but there is some stuff about them on a google search. Here is a pic (which looks to be your fish) and info can probably also be had.

http://home.online.no/~tonemu/geo-altamira.html

Geophagus spp. in general can be fairly good community residents, as long as they are given space. They usually are tolerant of others and interesting. However, they do dig alot and can cause damage to any plants in a tank in a hurry.

As for availability in Australia, that is going to have to be someone they giving you some clues.

Good luck,

Neil

MC1979

5 Year Member
A number of Geophagus species are available in Australia. I have yet to see the particular species.

The Geophagines are actually not an allowable import here. It's possible they have come in via the "black market" but if they are a rarer fish, then I doubt they are here.

Hope that helps.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….