• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is Hongslo form II?

anewbie

I frequently see hongslo apistogramma listed as form II but i cannot find a reference as to what form II represent. I have 4 siblings - 2 are definitely males and 1 is definitely female (she laid eggs) but the third is still unsure.
-
Of the two clear males they have very different colour. One is red (not super red); but the other has no red and is more gold/yellow like.
-
I am presuming that the form II is some other type of colouring. From picturing it seems to be a mix of my two males being more yellow like but also having the small red bar at the bottom but perhaps form II is not colouring at all and some other trait ?

anewbie

Never mind i found this thread:
--
It is just a colour morph but it is weird because it seems to have a lot less red than the super red i've seen still it is described as having a lot of red.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Common names are just that: common names. One person's Super Red can be another's CF-II or CF-X. Anyone can use any name they want if they feel it sells their fish. This is why a prefer to buy domestic strains of apisto only if I can see the mature fish or their parents.

anewbie

Common names are just that: common names. One person's Super Red can be another's CF-II or CF-X. Anyone can use any name they want if they feel it sells their fish. This is why a prefer to buy domestic strains of apisto only if I can see the mature fish or their parents.
Thanks. I saw pictures of the parents of the ones i acquired but as i noted my two males still turned out distinctly different (if i knew more about the genetics of hongslo i would understand which traits are recessive et all). I guess in the end for the ones i have i don't really care as they are both 'good' fishes with interesting personalities. I am also thankful they co-exist with the female without the fighting i see with other cichlid (or for that matter cockatoo). I do like the look of the super-red (the ones that show red throughout the body) which is why i was looking. In all honesty i can't buy anything for a while because my tanks are fully stock but i would like to find a source so after i move i can add some true super red. I'd also like to replace my male nijennsi and breed them (the female is still fine) but that will be another year before i can acquire more tank and ro water to treat them properly and i'm not sure she will adjust to the change.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….