• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are the water requirements for breeding hongsloi ?

anewbie

What water is required for hongsloi eggs to hatch ? Mine lay eggs frequently but they never seem to hatch (the female does a good job guarding them). My water condition is approx gh 7 kh 3 tds 120 ph 7.1. Not sure if the water is too hard or the ph too high.

CRD

Wet....kidding/not kidding... Mine were never too picky about water. Similar gh/kh/tds, pH 7.4

Anything in the tank that she might think could eat the babies?

Are we sure the M & F are both hongsloi?

yukondog

5 Year Member
The Hongsloi I have do not seem to care to much about water but with that being said, I do have soft water from my tap, tds about 70, ph around 6.7-6.9 depending on the day, my GH is around 4, KH about 0.

anewbie

100% male/female - there are predators but they lay the eggs where i can watch them and i never see them hatch - typically they fan them for 3 days and on the fourth they seem to vanish.

anewbie

Yea - i understand that - but shouldn't the eggs still hatch? It isn't that i'm against running the experiment but at this time i have no where else to put the other occupants. In my case i watched the eggs for three full days and then on the fourth they always vanish. I will in fact try putting them in a tank by themselves next year after i move and have room for additional tanks but right now i live in a condo with strict rules.

CRD

100% male/female - there are predators but they lay the eggs where i can watch them and i never see them hatch - typically they fan them for 3 days and on the fourth they seem to vanish.
Many female cichlids will eat their spawns in the presence of what they deem to be a threat. Better for them to recycle the nutrients than risk someone else getting the meal. If the goal is to reproduce them, probably best to remove potential predators....

yukondog

5 Year Member
I agree with rehoming. I dont have any other fish with my breeding apisto's even in the bigger breeder tanks 30+. Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….