• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are my ap. Agassizii doing?

C

ChriX

Hi all, i've had a pair of Apistogramma Agassizii in my tank for a few weeks now, been noticing some odd behavior so just an enquiry as to what it is really.

The male will like flare all his fins at the female, and the female will flare hers and kind of bend into an S shape, then the male will swim at the female and she'll swim off. This happens quite frequently.

Any ideas?

Thanks. :)

Discus Man

5 Year Member
With the male:
all fins large and colourful: look at me, I am worthy of mating with.
top fin low, ventral fins extended: you are not welcome.

Responses to either are often the same, laying down on one side, or swimming away, tail whap etc.

The S bend posture is used to say, "I am standing up to you and will tail whap, spring and snap, etc. " younger males will do this as do females.

Female vs. female aggression is much more aggressive than anything I have seen between a male and female or male vs. male

HTH

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….