• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water softener

NYfishguy

Has anyone used API water softener pillow? It does not say what is in it on the package which make me a little hesitant to use it. Also you have to recharge it in salt water after a day or two.

gerald

5 Year Member
It's a cation (positive-charge ion) exchange resin. For each Ca++ or Mg++ ion that it absorbs, it releases two Na+ ions. So you're exchanging hardness ions (Ca and Mg) for Na ions. So it reduces hardness, but it increases conductivity.

NYfishguy

Would he increase in Na+ ions be harmful to the fish?I'm basically asking if there is a good reason to stay away from this type of this method of softening water.

gerald

5 Year Member
Mike & Darrel -- I was under the impression that obligate softwater/blackwater fish (and their eggs) have more trouble with the divalent ions (Ca++ and Mg++) than they do with sodium (Na+). Not true?

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Gerald you are right. I have used the API water softener pillow before (as an experiment...yes I get bored breeding fish) and to my surprise I was able to get the A. iniridae to spawn after treating the water with it. Obviously, I don't use it anymore but the fact that it worked on a blackwater species it showed that your statement is correct. The spawn size was around 30 which is small for A. iniridae so the high conductivity may be the cause of it.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Mike & Darrel -- I was under the impression that obligate softwater/blackwater fish (and their eggs) have more trouble with the divalent ions (Ca++ and Mg++) than they do with sodium (Na+). Not true?
Gerald you are right. I have used the API water softener pillow before (as an experiment...yes I get bored breeding fish) and to my surprise I was able to get the A. iniridae to spawn after treating the water with it. Obviously, I don't use it anymore but the fact that it worked on a blackwater species it showed that your statement is correct.
We have had a thread about this suggesting that higher conductivity (from monovalent salts) has less effect that we had thought, it is this one: <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/ok.12048/>.

I only have planted tanks, so I'm not keen on sodium, although you could re-charge the resin with KCl, (where the plants would deplete the K+ ions during growth). I still don't think it is a viable long term option, but against that I've never tried it.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….