• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water Changes With Fry In The Tank.

Andrew C

5 Year Member
I currently have two pairs of Cacatuoides in two seperate tanks with no other fish.
The two females have laid eggs (about two days ago) and are usually in their pot with the eggs, or out harassing the male.
If everything goes well, this will be my first batch of fry (maybe even double batch), hopefully.

I change 50% of each tanks water weekly (two 4ft * 1ft * 15"high tanks), with water straight from the tap (about 5 degrees cooler), using a python and add a cap full of water conditioner straight into the tank as the phython fills it.

What is a good water change schedule if fry are present in the tank ?

Andy.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Matt. I will also add that if you are using straight tap, you might want to consider aging the water over night to allow for the release of dissolved gases. Fry are so small the a high gas concentration in the water can easily diffuse into tissues. As the fish grow, this becomes less of a problem. This is not an issue that many people have had to deal with. One way to see if you might need to age water is to fill a tall glass with water that is flowing slowly and smoothly from the tap, then let it sit for a few hours. Look at it occasionally. The little bubbles that appear on the sides are the dissolved gases releasing from the water. A few is no big deal. If the glass has a lot of them... like 50% of the surface covered with bubbles within a few hours... aging would probably be a good idea. Agitating the water with a pump or airstone will speed up the release of the gases.

Andrew C

5 Year Member
Thanks Farm 41 & Tjudy.

WooHoo
I have my first batch of fry following there mother around the tank and they are tiny (it was my younger pair of cacs that has succeeded).

I removed the male as i had just fed them before i saw the fry and was not sure what the male eating, plus the female did not look too keen when the male got close to them.

I have just started a batch of brine shrimp, which should be ready tomorrow night, but i have some java moss in the tank and i put four drops of Liquifry No 1 (for egglayers) just now.

I was thinking of changing 25% of the tanks water every second day and feed them a squirt of BBS four times a day.
There is a lot of gas in my water (i see it when doing normal water changes in my tanks, bubbles all around the top of the tank), but i have some tubs to let it sit in and mature.

Dos it seem like a good schedule for a fry tank and will any change in tempature when doing water changes affect the fry.

Andy.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Do not worry about tempertaure shock when putting room temp water into tank water when you are only doing a 25% water change. It will not be a problem. Your schedule sounds fine to me.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….