• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

water changes and fry

mrlimpet

5 Year Member
water changes and fry (video added)

a lot of folks say water changes should be increased when fry are present. some even advocate daily water changes.

would this still apply if water params are in the ideal range?

my 12G tank with 72-hour old bolivian ram fry has 7.0 ph, 0 ammonia/nitrites, and 20 nitrates. i typically do a 25%-33% water change once a week.

i don't see the need to increase my water changes even with the fry present. then again, i want to do whatever i can to ensure this batch survives and thrives.

so, do i need to step up the frequency of my water changes, or can i just stick with my normal weekly schedule?

Woody

5 Year Member
Increase the frequency of your water changes. Rather than a 25% WC weekly do a 10% a day. There are a number of reason to do this, the frst one is the increase in the biological load on the existing filter, you don't want to have an ammonia spike to wipe out your fry, they are very sensitive to this. Also the fry will grow faster and stronger with frequent water changes.
I personally raise all my fry seperate from the parents and do a 40% WC daily on each and every aquarium. They grow faster and stronger.

Congratulations on the fry and keep us posted.

Woody

mrlimpet

5 Year Member
i just did a 25% water change and added some java moss even though the fry are not yet freeswimming. they hatched 3 1/2 days ago and are still being guarded by the parents when they're not being moved from pit to pit.

they appear to be healthy and vigorous but should they be freeswimming by now?

i will try the daily water changes of 10% and see how they progress.

thx for all your replys.

here's a short (less than 2 min) video of parents moving fry to a new sand pit.
slow connections beware... vid is 7 min.

Click here to watch bolivian fries. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gosia

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….