1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vacation Care

Discussion in 'General Dwarf Cichlids' started by Levin Tilghman, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Levin Tilghman

Levin Tilghman New Member 5 Year Member

How long can Apistos be left alone without being fed? Especially in a large, uncrowded aquarium. Can live food be provided that will last longer than a week or so, such as live daphnia? Has anyone had any experiences with a pet sitting service? v
  2. Ttw

Ttw Active Member 5 Year Member

I have left my fish for 10 days without a problem. Two weeks is pushing things. Having someone else feed your fish often turns out bad.
  3. TCMontium

TCMontium Member

Automatic feeders usually work for weeks to months (battery lasts maybe even for a year, the food runs out first, usually). For how long of a time are you going away?
  4. ButtNekkid

ButtNekkid Active Member

What kind of substrate do you have? If fine sand, problem solved for a while.
    I´ ve kept my Apistos on a diet for a week and no problems.
  5. Dean Castle

Dean Castle New Member

Sorry to jump on this thread..........what are people's thoughts on holiday blocks. I'm away for 10 days shortly and the last time I asked someone to feed my N. Anomala, it nearly ended in tears. Thanks in advance.

Dean
  6. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

Excellent - for removing money from your wallet. They're next to worthless for food. You fish should survive for 10 days foraging on 'leftovers' in an established tank.
    dw1305, ButtNekkid and Dean Castle like this.
  7. Dean Castle

Dean Castle New Member

Thanks Mike, thought as much.