• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unexpected fry from A. agassizii

aidanjb19

As stated in the title my A. Agassizii pair spawned a little earlier than planned. At the moment the only tank I have to move anything to is a 10 gallon. I'm wondering if my best course of action is to move the male and female out of their 20 gallon when the fry mature a little? So far there's been no aggression towards the male, and the female is being a great mother.

MacZ

To be honest... I'd consider the fact you are not required to bring every clutch of fry through. Because this may not go down well.

On the other hand... you have about a month to get a decent growout tank (100 Liters+) set up.

You have someone who will take the fish of your hands once they are old enough? If not either get that checked now or don't attempt growing these fry out.

aidanjb19

Jn
To be honest... I'd consider the fact you are not required to bring every clutch of fry through. Because this may not go down well.

On the other hand... you have about a month to get a decent growout tank (100 Liters+) set up.

You have someone who will take the fish of your hands once they are old enough? If not either get that checked now or don't attempt growing these fry out.
Yes LFS will take them off my hand, the tank the parents are in is a 60cm tall, right around 100l.

MacZ

Height is not what you're looking for, but footprint. Volume is secondary, dimensions are key.

You will need a separate growout and a third to separate the parent fish, as they will start brooding again right away after a short period of time.
Otherwise you are getting overrun.

aidanjb19

Height is not what you're looking for, but footprint. Volume is secondary, dimensions are key.

You will need a separate growout and a third to separate the parent fish, as they will start brooding again right away after a short period of time.
Otherwise you are getting overrun.
Guess this isn't the adventure for me. No room for more tanks was hoping to make it work with what I have at the moment.

MacZ

Guess this isn't the adventure for me. No room for more tanks was hoping to make it work with what I have at the moment.
I'll be blunt, but that's so you don't get your hopes too high. With what you have you'll be lucky if you get a handful of fry through to the 4cm required by most retailers.

aidanjb19

I'll be blunt, but that's so you don't get your hopes too high. With what you have you'll be lucky if you get a handful of fry through to the 4cm required by most retailers.
Purely because of fry aggression? Or bioload as well?

I just say 20 gallon because of the 60cm out of habit, it's 26 gallons.

MacZ

Neither. Stocking density. High density raises baseline stress levels. And stress is the number 1 killer of dwarf cichlids.

MacZ

But of course, once the parent female starts the next brood the older fry are fair game for her to push around, and if you move the fry to the 50 Liter you will have to do as many waterchanges as 50% a day, depending on numbers.

aidanjb19

Neither. Stocking density. High density raises baseline stress levels. And stress is the number 1 killer of dwarf cichlids.
I can perhaps fit another 10 somewhere and seperate fry into 2 batches? I hate the idea of not helping the fry to the best of my ability, just not sure I can swing another tank with my lady given the limited space.

MacZ

I know, I'll come across quite heartless now, but put it in the best way I can: Something every fishkeeper, even every petkeeper should learn is: You can't simply get every offspring of your pets through and frankly, you shouldn't. Especially in fishkeeping where you often have egg-clutches of 50-100 fry in species that do brood care. With human help they most often bring most of them through. And the next clutch follows less than a month later, while the first batch is not even halfway at sale-size. Until the first batch reaches sale size the mother can have put out 5-6 more batches. I hope you get the gist. Rather lose a batch and take time to prepare for proper growout and care than doing it on the fly.
So I would not feed them extra and not remove any possible brood predators like tetras. Just let nature play out.

aidanjb19

I know, I'll come across quite heartless now, but put it in the best way I can: Something every fishkeeper, even every petkeeper should learn is: You can't simply get every offspring of your pets through and frankly, you shouldn't. Especially in fishkeeping where you often have egg-clutches of 50-100 fry in species that do brood care. With human help they most often bring most of them through. And the next clutch follows less than a month later, while the first batch is not even halfway at sale-size. Until the first batch reaches sale size the mother can have put out 5-6 more batches. I hope you get the gist. Rather lose a batch and take time to prepare for proper growout and care than doing it on the fly.
So I would not feed them extra and not remove any possible brood predators like tetras. Just let nature play out.
Thanks for being frank, I needed to hear it. I'll try my best to get something that will work figured out for the next spawn. Unfortunately I'm not okay with letting the fry die off everytime so I'll likely end up rehoming them to someone better equipped.

MacZ

so I'll likely end up rehoming them to someone better equipped.
You're welcome. It's also part of the journey to admit it's not the right moment for something. Rehoming for growout is also an option and until you have the rest figured out separate the parents. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macmasterman

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(