• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two new apistogrammas from Peru described

DaRe

5 Year Member
Apistogramma sp. "zwilling" gets a name: A. feconat
and Apistogramma wolli is described.

Also A. payaminonis gets revised.

Question, could it be so that A. wolli is the same species as A178?
http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?PageId=118

Abstract
Apistogramma payaminonis Kullander, 1986 is redescribed based on the only two type specimens available, and two new, closely-related Apistogramma species are described from Peru. Data from the original description of A. payaminonis are supplemented with information on phenotypic appearance, which is important for differentiating the taxon from several other species discovered in the last few years. Apistogramma feconat sp. n. is described from four specimens from the catchment of the Río Tigre, Loreto; information on its ecology, biology, and current conservation status is summarised. Apistogramma wolli sp. n. is described from six specimens from the catchment of the Napo river, Loreto, close to the Peru-Ecuador border; information on its ecology and biology is sparse. Both newly described species are representatives of the Apistogramma nijsseni complex that live in small forest streams influenced by blackwater. Information on differentiating females of some members of this group of related species is presented. At present no clear information based on voucher specimens is available regarding the possible distribution of the two species in Ecuador. Man-made environmental hazards potentially endangering the aquatic fauna in the western catchment of the Río Marañón and the Rio Amazonas, between their tributaries the Rio Pastaza and the Rio Napo, are discussed.
http://www.senckenberg.de/files/con...rtebrate_zoology_65-3_roemer_online-first.pdf

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

Here is a pair, I got from Uwe Römer.
uploadfromtaptalk1445976431963.jpg

Caught close to the location where TomC caught the "Pantoja" form, which is obviously the same.

Regards,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes A. wolli probably is the same as the species Tom, Julio and I collected near Pantoja. My problem is that A. wolli has 'hypertrophic' (greatly enlarged) lips on the males. The Pantoja form we collected shows some enlargement of the lips (more like seen on A. atahualpa), but not the massively enlarged, cacatuoides-like lips seen on A. wolli, nor does the specimen photographed by Pen - which shows 2 lateral spots like A. payaminonis! The lips don't appear to be age related because I still have a pair we collected in 2012 and the male still doesn't show massive lips like on A. wolli. Kästner's fish (A 178) shows enlarged lips like A. wolli, but I haven't seen a photo with an anal spot.

As for distribution, it appear that Sergio collected the type material of A. wolli in the same general area we did. And we collected in the same general area that Pen's fish was collected. We don't know where Kästner's fish were collected. They we exported out of Brazil as contaminants with Cardinal/Red Neon Tetras, if I recall correctly.

So, what do we have? A. wolli differs slightly from all of the other forms discussed by having hypertrophic lips + an anal spot. Kästner's fish, of unknown origin, show the hypertrophic lips but (possibly?) no anal spot. The form Tom, Julio & I collected seems to match Pen's fish - except Pen's lone male shows 2 lateral spots. The question is whether or not these forms are all the same species. I don't know. We need genetic studies done on each form to be certain.

As Römer wrote, the fish isn't common in its home range. I agree with him that wildcaught specimens are demanding in water values for breeding. In addition, females aren't the best parent, but can be bred in an aquarium. I have 2 tanks with F1 juveniles that I've been ignoring horribly and an F1 pair that breeds regularly in less demanding water values.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
The Aqualog book "The latest Apistogramma" contains a picture of a Kästner male that shows an anal spot. And If the photos taken by Warzel, in fact show Kästner's fish (as assumed by Römer), there are some more pictures of them showing anal spots. What about the black markings of the Pantoja females, do they coincide with those of the A. wolli females as shown in the scientific description? And what do you think about Römer's claim that Kästner's fish are in fact the "true" A. payaminonis?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Aqualog book "The latest Apistogramma" contains a picture of a Kästner male that shows an anal spot. And If the photos taken by Warzel, in fact show Kästner's fish (as assumed by Römer), there are some more pictures of them showing anal spots.

Out of curiosity, I check all my references about A. cf. payaminonis (Kästner):

Kästner (2000) Das Aqurium (my thanks to Col. Schmettkamp for the copy many years ago) photos: 1 pair, 2 males, 3 females.
Koslowski (2002) Die Buntbarshe Americas Bd 2: Apistogramma & Co.photos: 1 male (same photo as 1 in Kästner (2000)).
Bork (2005) Aqualog Extra photos: 3 males, 1 female.

I couldn't find any photos of Kästner's form taken by Warzel. If you know where to find them, I'd be happy to look at them, too.

Of the 10 photos available to me (some possibly the same specimen) only 1 shows a male with a dark anal spot (all dark markings highly pronounced; possibly stressed/frightened? I don't know). All of the females - mostly in highly contrasting breeding dress - show no anal spot. Personally I would expect to see an enhanced anal spot more on brooding females than males. Therefore, 10% of the fish in the photos show an anal spot. My guess is that it is an anomaly caused by lighting/stress.

What about the black markings of the Pantoja females, do they coincide with those of the A. wolli females as shown in the scientific description?

Yes, for the most part. That's why my only real problem is the differences in the males' lips. If I looked really close I'm sure I could find subtle differences in each female's dark marking, but this could be a population variation - just like the males' lips.

And what do you think about Römer's claim that Kästner's fish are in fact the "true" A. payaminonis?

The Warzel photos in this description IMHO do not show specimens of Kästner's form. They are the same or at least closely related to A. payaminonis.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I couldn't find any photos of Kästner's form taken by Warzel. If you know where to find them, I'd be happy to look at them, too.
I was referring to the ones shown in the description (and the recent DCG article) which Römer beliefs to show the Kästner form. If this isn't the case, I don't know of any either unfortunately.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
OK, now we are using the same reference. I stand by my previous statement: "The Warzel photos in this description IMHO do not show specimens of Kästner's form. They are the same or at least closely related to A. payaminonis.

Furthermore Römer states in the DCG-Info article: "Erst Kästner (2000) stellte in eben jenem Jahr tiere vor, die in praktisch allen Merkmalen mit denen in der Beschreibung Kullanders übereinstimmten. Die unserem Artikel beigefügten ausgewählten Abbildungen aus dem Warzel-Archiv stammen möglicherweise von Kästners Tieren." ["First Kästner (2000) introduced a species in the same year that in practically all of its markings corresponded to those in Kullander's description. The pictures selected for our article come from the Warzel archive, possibly of Kästner's specimens." emphasis is mine]. I don't know where Frank Warzel found the fish he photographed in the article, but they are not the same species/form as Kästner's. Frank was a top-rate fish collector/photographer who collected and photographed new/unusual fish from all over South America. His photos of A. payaminonis, found in Römer's DCG article must have come from somewhere else. It was a sad day when the aquarium world lost this young man, God rest his soul.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Ok, thanks for your help to clarify the situation of the different payaminonis forms for me Mike. However, that Römer in fact believes in the identity of the fish photographed by Warzel with the Kästner form, is quite evident to me from what he says in the description:
"In addition, the late Frank Martin Warzel took several photographs of some of the individuals kept by Kästner (here identified to represent A. payaminonis)".

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, his two somewhat contradictory statements are confusing. Still, the Warzel photos in his DCG article look nothing like Kästner's nor Bork's photos. Sometimes we want something to be true so badly that we overlook what is visible. I could be wrong, of course.

Imrahil

5 Year Member
Hello,
I got 15 juveniles of Apistogramma wolli last spring, coming from Frank H and Roland Keeper in Germany and carried to me (in Lyon, France) after the WAC meeting 2016. Unfortunatly, after these fishes grew up, it appears there are only males in the group. Would somebody have an idea about how to get some females someplace close to France (I don't think there are other A. wolli in France yet)? Frank, by any chance are you planning to go to the WAC meeting next March? Or do you know whether some A. wolli are still reproduced in Germany?
Cheers,
Frédéric

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I wish I was closer. I have 8 - 10 extra females. These are offspring from fish TomC & I collected in 2012. Yes, I also have 2 breeding pairs right now, too.

Imrahil

5 Year Member
Thank you Frank! That would be fantastic to get 2-3 females from you. I will not go myself to the next WAC meeting but I'm going to try to fine someone who will go (maybe Erik as last year?). Many thanks anyway, I will keep my fingers crossed that you succeed to find some A. wolli females.

By the way Mike, do you know whether some people, in Europe, have been able to get some breeding with A. sp. Zwilling/A. feconat ?

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Frederic, I have just talked to a friend of mine who also got a group of young A. wolli from me. He believes to have mostly females ;) If this turns out to be the case, he would happily exchange some of his females for some of your males at the WAC meeting.

Imrahil

5 Year Member
Sounds perfect Frank. I will be happy to do such an exchange. I will let you know about the person who will bring the wolli males to Dülmen. Thanks again !

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Breeding A. feconat/sp. Zwilling has occurred many times in the past. It is not an easy fish to breed, but possible. We don't see it discussed much lately because it is rarely imported. It occurs in a nature preserve and the people in charge are very protective. Not only that, but the area was included in a 'disaster area' in 2015 due to water contamination from oil drilling operations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….