• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two layers Aquarium setup

kappaalby

Hi all,

my tank is 60x40x50h, so around 110 liter. I kept here a couple of A. Borrelli and one month the female died. Not sure on the cause, everything looked good the day before and then the surprise. I had some aggression problem that I solved (or at least I hoped so) by adding some extra decoration and caves, but I still suspect the male as responsible (the female belly was opened but this could have happened later too..).

Btw, having said that I'm planning to add two females, but since the bottom of my tank is 60x40 I do not think it's a good idea. I then though about "tuning" my tank. Since apistos do not really need such high column of water the idea is to add a plexyglass panel in the middle of the tank and increase the horizontal surface available.
The aim is that one female will occupy the bottom part of the tank and the other the upper one. I made a drawing to make it simpler to understand.

Now my questions

1) is this a completely crazy idea? will it work?
2) any suggestion to improve it?

thanks!
Alberto

2layer-aquarium.png

MacZ

I don't think this is going to work. Main problem is the waterflow within the tank. Also underneath the panel will be a big dark cave. What if both want that as their territory? Or neither? You can't really predict the behaviour in this case. And if it doesn't work out? How do you get one of them out? How are you going to do maintenance underneath it?

I'd rather lower the overall water level to 30cm and maybe let some plants grow out of the water on driftwood for example.

Instead of adding any females just leave the male alone. I have by now figured out, that a pair in a 60cm tank is probably not going to work longterm, except there is a an option to separate male and female, putting one of them in a separate tank.

kappaalby

thanks, well these were also some of my concerns and the reason why I wrote here.

"I have by now figured out, that a pair in a 60cm tank is probably not going to work longterm" : what are your advice for one pair and one trio?

80cm for a pair and 100cm for a trio?

MacZ

thanks, well these were also some of my concerns and the reason why I wrote here.

"I have by now figured out, that a pair in a 60cm tank is probably not going to work longterm" : what are your advice for one pair and one trio?

80cm for a pair and 100cm for a trio?

Leaving out breeding setups, yeah, for long term keeping that's pretty much the sizes I would advise. Plus the necessary structure so the fish can actually avoid each other without seeing each other from the opposite ends.

kappaalby

thanks

and what about adding a male of a different specie? I have a backup tank if thing goes wrong, but I would really like to keep them together

which species might be more adapt? i.e., having more change to find a few aggressive specimen?

MacZ

I don't like to mix the species, as they all are territorial and fill the same niches, so different species might be interested in the same territory. I mean, Apistos also chase away Cories from their territories.

which species might be more adapt? i.e., having more change to find a few aggressive specimen?
No idea what you mean. Sorry.

kappaalby

No idea what you mean. Sorry.

mm propably autocorrector :)

*** i.e., having more chances to find a not so aggressive specimen?

so, what I meant, what are the apisto species that are less territorial and that might live in peace with a. borrelli? if any... and taking into account that I have a backup plan

MacZ

ah, I see. Funnily enough I would have only recommended A. borellii. But how about another genus? Dicrossus would be a peaceful option.

Samala

I like the Dicrossus idea. Have been contemplating doing the same with my borellii 'colony' at some point.

MacZ

Thanks. My problem with limited tank sizes has led me to investigating non-Apistogramma species that might work with more than a single specimen in my setup. I originally wanted Dicrossus, but sourcing them here is... let's put it this way: I can rather get my hands on many rare Apistogramma species in F1 generation, than any Dicrossus of any kind right now.

kappaalby

here is impossible to get Dicrossus unless I order them and I do not like the idea.. I mean if I do not like the fish because it looks sick or whatever..

if I should leave the apistos, I might go for ramirezi but I never had success with them for more than 6 months (I have the feeling the 'commercial' one are weak..) then temperature is a problem, I should raise to 29 C and territory can be a problem

thinking about laetacara dorsigera, any experience/comment?

MacZ

here is impossible to get Dicrossus unless I order them and I do not like the idea.. I mean if I do not like the fish because it looks sick or whatever..
Not necessarily a problem, but I see where you're coming from there.

I have the feeling the 'commercial' one are weak.
Your feeling is not wrong. Rams have been bred in such masses, the genepool and the immunesystems of commercially bred rams are rubbish.

thinking about laetacara dorsigera, any experience/comment?
Sorry, no experience.

kappaalby

thanks for now, I will think about it and I will keep you posted and if someone else has suggestions it's more than welcome!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….