• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two day collecting trip to the Anavilhanas confirmed

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Good luck, let's hope you find some real gems! Chanses are certainly good ;) Eagerly awaiting pictures.

Haakon

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Well I pretty mutch caught everything I had hoped to catch! The Paucisquamis from that location is simply stunning from that location. I just got back and will start to work on a collecting report/article. I had a mini disaster on the way back but I still have three adult paucisquamis, a subadult pertensis, a few gibbiceps and some others. They have acclimated to the tank and the 8 or so apistos have their own 10 gallon until they settle down and get stronger. In the end it was a great (if short) trip and just what I needed to get excited about the hobby more.

Tom C

5 Year Member
Wow, that's great news, Hudson!
I'm really looking forward to see this report...:biggrin:

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
I have pictures of the trip on facebook, it may take a few days to post the pictures here or on my blog. If anyone else has face book send me an invite and I will add them or just give me your name and I will look for you (except if your name is Mike Wise as there are tens of thousands of other Mike wises on facebook and I won't be able to find you). I am also setting up another Flickr account for nature photography so if anyone else has a flickr just give me the link. I have some very good intank pictures and have posted a few to different groups on facebook. If you don't have facebook you will just have to wait a few days lol

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
At 6:30 in the morning we crossed the new bridge
Copyof20114362.jpg

we got off the bus at around 10:30 at Nova Ayrao a small depressing city with the feel of a ghost town
Copyof20113825.jpg

after an hour and a half of waiting, we got in a boat just as the rain was getting near.
Copyof20113874.jpg

The ride to the small village where we would stay was about 30 minutes away.
Copyof20113884.jpg

Once at the village we were greeted by the 10 year old macaw that owned the village.
Copyof20113884.jpg

I had a few minutes before lunch and I caught a Hypselecara in some submerged grass
Copyof20113959.jpg

After eating piranha for lunch I went back out to the river and caught some Lampeye fish (I dont actually know what they are)
Copyof20113981.jpg

and a mesonauta insignis
Copyof20113987.jpg

and a pike cichlid
Copyof20114005.jpg

and a few more fish of interest...
Copyof20113992.jpg

Apistogramma pertensis
Copyof20114000.jpg

Apistogramma paucisquamis, one of my all time favorites
Copyof20114002.jpg

After about an hour of fishing and with lots of apistos and sore wrists I took a walk around the village
Copyof20114157.jpg

I enjoy taking pictures a lot with my new Rebel XT
Copyof20114106.jpg

Copyof20114126.jpg

Copyof20114103.jpg

There was a pet White Hawk that posed quite nicely for me
Copyof20114084.jpg

Copyof20114074.jpg

and a pet parrot
Copyof20114208.jpg

Enough with the birds, the next day I almost caught a peacock bass but I didnt set the hook right.
After that we had to leave with all the fish in breather bags. Apparently the weather decided it had been too nice to us and it was so windy that we had to stop in a cove because of the waves.
Copyof20114304.jpg

Copyof20114321.jpg

I was hoping to catch more apistos in an Igarape back in the woods
Copyof20114341.jpg

But there were no fish in it.
Half an hour later the waves subsided and we headed off to Nova Ayrao again in the pouring rain. Disaster struck when I realized that one of the bags had opened and all of the water had escaped loeaving the fish stranded! Unfortunately four died.
Back at home I put the remaining apistos, in an empty ten gallon quarintine.
CopyofIMG_7434.jpg

CopyofIMG_7432.jpg

CopyofIMG_7420.jpg

CopyofIMG_7449.jpg

CopyofIMG_7420.jpg

CopyofIMG_7409.jpg

CopyofIMG_7442.jpg

I also caught a lot of juvenile A. gibbiceps but no pretty adults. Next week I am travelling to Boa vista and will be staying there 9 days. i will fish in some of the creeks there. Other then rupununi and gibbiceps, what should I look for?

Tom C

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for sharing, Hudson!
Like you, I find this color form of A. paucisquamis to be a veritable beauty!

Did you measure the pH of the water where you collected them?
Any pics of the habitat?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Very Nice!!!

I believe that a fish similiar to A. pulchra (cf. pulchra or the like) had the tag of Boa Vista along with it. These were imported into the US a few years ago and I was lucky enough to get a few of them, although it was a very male heavy group. Regardless they are a stunning fish! Hopefully you are able to find them. It's a black water species though so it can be a challenge to keep.

I'll have to dig through some files and see if I can find a few pictures.

Tom C

5 Year Member
Next week I am travelling to Boa vista and will be staying there 9 days. i will fish in some of the creeks there. Other then rupununi and gibbiceps, what should I look for?
A. roraimae (A 210), type locailty = 10 km from Boa Vista on the road to Caracarai (Would be fantastic if you found this one!)
A. cf. rupununi (Boa Vista) (A 131)
A. sp. Branco (A 226) (= A. cf. pulchra (Branco); A. sp. “Branco-Pulchra”) has been collected in the Rio Cauamé drainage (U.Rio Branco near Boa Vista)

I wish you good luck!

...Tom C yes I did measure the PH and Hardness the PH was high, about 6.2 and the hardness was 0 ppm
The "high" pH is unusual for this area, and very interesting. Thanks for the info, Hudson!

Cor

Interesting to observe that the wild-caught Apistogramma's show once more that in captivity kept freshwaterfish are mostely given to much food. At least in my case the apistogramma's i'm keeping all show a much bigger bally then the fish Hudson caught. This is for me the reason to get the fish on a diet of brine shrimps only once a day in stead of twice, starting today.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Next week I am travelling to Boa vista and will be staying there 9 days. i will fish in some of the creeks there. Other then rupununi and gibbiceps, what should I look for?

Other species found in the area around Boa Vista include A. roraimae, A. wapisana, A. sp. Branco, and A. sp. Rupununi Savanna. As you can see, this part of the Rio Branco isn't collected commecially very often.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
A. roraimae (A 210), type locailty = 10 km from Boa Vista on the road to Caracarai (Would be fantastic if you found this one!)
A. cf. rupununi (Boa Vista) (A 131)
A. sp. Branco (A 226) (= A. cf. pulchra (Branco); A. sp. “Branco-Pulchra”) has been collected in the Rio Cauamé drainage (U.Rio Branco near Boa Vista)

I wish you good luck!

The "high" pH is unusual for this area, and very interesting. Thanks for the info, Hudson!
Dont take it as fact I did the test in a boat while it was moving fast in a storm, I should have tested it more carefully. I only fished in the Rio negro by the anavilhanas, The water was so High the igarapes have almost all dissapeared in the amazon.
I will ask around and try my best to get roraimae.

great pictures. thanks for sharing.
best of luck for your next expedition :)
Thank you! Your welcome
Interesting to observe that the wild-caught Apistogramma's show once more that in captivity kept freshwaterfish are mostely given to much food. At least in my case the apistogramma's i'm keeping all show a much bigger bally then the fish Hudson caught. This is for me the reason to get the fish on a diet of brine shrimps only once a day in stead of twice, starting today.
Careful though, there are TONs of variables, where they live, availability of food, habitat, species, time of year (right before spawning) etc. ask Mike Wise or TomC they should know a lot better then me.
Other species found in the area around Boa Vista include A. roraimae, A. wapisana, A. sp. Branco, and A. sp. Rupununi Savanna. As you can see, this part of the Rio Branco isn't collected commecially very often.

A. wapisana would be incredible to find! Despite it being a bit homely. A. roraimae would be awesome too. I will have to see what I can do. as long as its close to the city I may be able to find a way out (walking or Taxi lol) Time wont be a problem neccesarily.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….