• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Buying Tucano Tetra

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Does anyone here breed tucano tetras? I'm in the USA.
You're better off checking places like The Wet Spot who typically gets them in 2-4x a year. I still have 1x from them that's probably 5 years old and loved through a literal cross-country move and many tanks.

Solasis

You're better off checking places like The Wet Spot who typically gets them in 2-4x a year. I still have 1x from them that's probably 5 years old and loved through a literal cross-country move and many tanks.
Thanks. I always worry about mixing wild caught fish and captive bred fish, but since wetspot is a good source I'll give them a shot.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Thanks. I always worry about mixing wild caught fish and captive bred fish, but since wetspot is a good source I'll give them a shot.
Any fish you buy from any source ever will have been transported via air at some point in its lineage. And every source is different. By the time these miniscule fish get to Wet Spot, they would be dead if they had significant issues. I took mine home and immediately fed them flake food.

I can personally vouch for Wet Spot's fish. Highly recommend them, and again, you are very, very, very unlikely to find captive bred Tucano Tetras, much less locally, meaning they're getting shipped anyways and that's where most of the issues occur, not because they are wild. I wish I could afford to restock my Tucano school now that I'm across the country, as I have a perfect tank for them and only one left.

Mazan

They don't seem to be very often available, I would love to find some but have never seen them for sale here, and if they did appear they would be fry expensive...... There was actually someone in the US who was breeding them a couple of years ago, on another forum, unfortunately no longer active there and no way of contacting them.

MacZ

Is it really such a problem to get Tucanos? I have seen them in 3 stores in two cities within the last 2 months and at least 4 different online shops carry them here right now. I also know two people who bred them unintentionally in their softwater tanks.
And tankbreds have finally reached prices lower than what you pay for wild caughts.

anewbie

Wetspot has them right now but they are $14 a tail.

aquaticcleartiy has them for $15 a shot.

Last edited:

Mazan

But if you wnat a school of 50.... that's $750 !!!
I’d be content with 8 or 10 initially, maybe they would breed in a tank for me!
Is it really such a problem to get Tucanos? I have seen them in 3 stores in two cities within the last 2 months and at least 4 different online shops carry them here right now. I also know two people who bred them unintentionally in their softwater tanks.
And tankbreds have finally reached prices lower than what you pay for wild caughts.
Lucky…perhaps they will start to become more easily available and less expensive then, fingers crossed!

Aqualon

Does anyone here breed tucano tetras? I'm in the USA.
The Wet Spot in Oregon has them
Great shippers. I’m in PA and we regularly get from them overnight from Oregon. Shipping is like 40.00 over night. Great source for apisto
And hundreds of other fish. Quality all around

Apistoguy52

Agree
The Wet Spot in Oregon has them
Great shippers. I’m in PA and we regularly get from them overnight from Oregon. Shipping is like 40.00 over night. Great source for apisto
And hundreds of other fish. Quality all around
^^^

Had the Wetspot zip me a group last week.

Attachments

• 3240439B-DB48-4E3F-A1C7-2C5903DBBCE6.jpeg
    3240439B-DB48-4E3F-A1C7-2C5903DBBCE6.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 88

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….