• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tryied Artifical Hatching method

mematrix

5 Year Member
Tryied Artifical Hatching method(UPDATE #3)

:biggrin: Hi All. Well since my borelliis didn't give me time to change out. their tank to no UGF sand substrait and RO water. Because they decided to spawn again.LOL I decided to remove the eggs pot and all to a 1qt jar with ozarka distilled water and airation it's sitting in the main tank. So far it is working I currently have 100+ fry in wiggeler stage and they all seem to be doing good. What realy stumps me is my water has such a high alkalinity but My A. borelliis and now A. cacatuoides are breeding so readaly. I have 15 gal RO water I purchased this weekend was going to use it for my Cacatuoides tank but when I got home last nite one of my females is guarding now.

Sincerely Curtis

PS: Will the female resume care of the fry if returned to her? I was wondering because it looks like maybe she or the other is guarding some eggs thought that when other spawn reaches freeswimming stage I might could reintroduce the prior batch and she might take care of them also.

blueblue

5 Year Member
mematrix said:
PS: Will the female resume care of the fry if returned to her? I was wondering because it looks like maybe she or the other is guarding some eggs thought that when other spawn reaches freeswimming stage I might could reintroduce the prior batch and she might take care of them also.

i am afraid it will be very dangerous to do so... when the female finds that there are some new fries, it may simply eat them all... plus, the size of the
fries won't be the same when there is a time lag in between... i reckon that the artificial hatching works so well that you may just keep the fries in another tank until they are large enough to be kept in a community tank.
^.^

cdawson

5 Year Member
From what I've read I wouldn't do it, most animal kingdom parents do not react well to human intervention and usually kill their offspring after they've come in contact with humans. Besides you can do a pretty good job yourself without the mother being in the tank.

mematrix

5 Year Member
Update To Original Thread

mervin said:
congras there on your hatching !!!

time to hatch baby brine shrimps !!!

cheers
:biggrin: Thanks Blueblue,cdawson,and Mervin :) You Guys are probly right on reintroduction. It is probly bad idea. All seem to have hatched ok believe I lost maybe 3-5 dosn't seem many have died yet(Fingers Crossed)LOL.I was going to change the tank out yesterday. I figured that it wouldn't affezt the fry in the jar. So I began removing the pots ,driftwood,ect. I took out the jar and picked up the pot under it and low and behold the other female had laid eggs. I believe they were laid late nite befor or early yesterday morn. So I am going to leave them with mom. When I see her with fry I may try to reintroduce a couple of fry from jar. Since they will only be a few days apart maybe it will work if not I have a line on a couple of 10gal tanks for $5 apiece just tanks. The fry in the jar are begining to become freeswimming. I put micro worms and green water in with them. I have started BBS should be available 24-36 hrs. Man when it rains it pours. I got 2 spawns A.borellii,1 spawn so far A.cacatuoides, 2 kinds of Notho killies spawning, Possibly 2-3 pr of my young rams thinking on spawning(4-5 mths old),and my L.dorsigeras are acting a bit teritorial,and it's about time for my baby ram parents to get busy again(every 3-4 weeks). LOL It's begining to look like a fish farm around here.LOL And I am just an amature a baby in dwarfs.LOL Again thanks for replyies and support guys.

Sincerly Curtis Johnson going crazy in texas :biggrin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….