• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

trios or pairs?

Poe

5 Year Member
Hello

Recently I gave a new look to my 75 gallon tank. I´m still thinking what I want to do with it. I think i will keep it as planted as it used to be, with some rocks and caves.

I want to add some new apistos and my doubt is which ones and how many of them.

I have a trio of cacatuoides and I don´t know wheter it is better a couple.
I have a trio of agassizii and they seem ok because both females usually spawn with the only male.

I have a pandurini female. What should I do? Should I add a couple or just only a male?

I would like to add one last species but I´m not sure about it.
What about viejita and hongloi? couple or trios?

Thanks folks

apisto85

5 Year Member
i

I think that trios would be better for all apistos but i have heard that panduro and nijsseni would be fine whit pairs. somebody correct me if im not right

farm41

5 Year Member
The trio of cacs is great, that's what I have. I have panduro's too, and they didn't do to well as trio's, one female was chased so much she finally jumped through a small gap in the glass top to her death. So now it just a pair. The panduro's are big fish and kind of fiesty too. I'm not sure I would trust them in a community tank.

farm41

5 Year Member
Got some Jeff, The fry are about 2 weeks old and still very small. Really there are 2 sets of fry. 2 fry are 1 week older than the rest, and twice the size. Guess they wanted 2 litters at the same time. About 30 of the second batch. They sure have been good parents too.

Anyway, they wouldn't do anything with just tap water, or RO and tap mixed, nothing with peat treated water, but finally got some with 40% peat treated water and 60% RO. I guess it has to be just right sometimes huh.

Jeffery Doty

5 Year Member
Matt,

Congratulations! That was one very nice pair, and they were wild! Your perserverance paid off, and you figured out what they needed. Way to go!

Wanna trade me some f1 fry for some discus? :D :D

Jeff
Oregon

farm41

5 Year Member
Better be careful, I might take you up on that. I have a planted 60 that has a lot of room left in it. It's kind of tall for a trio of some bottom hugging dwarfs.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….