• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too many Inka in tank?

pjrichar

5 Year Member
I have 18 inka in a heavily planted 55 gal. Should I set up another tank a split group up or are they fine?

They look a little on edge, but they havent been in tank too long... Will they be okay after settle in awhile?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would bet that you will lose several once the fish start forming pairs and staking out territories. Unless the tank is so densely planted that you can't see into it, I would not have more than 2 fish per square foot (900 sq. cm). In a 55, that would be 5 or 6 pairs maximum.

If you plan to keep all in the tank anyway, may I suggest that you put some floating tubes (3"/7.5 cm lengths of 1"/2.5 cm diameter black plastic pipe work well) in the top of the tank? Fish that don't have a territory will hide in the tube "caves", out of sight of the territorial pairs. They can also be more easily removed from the tank by netting the tubes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….