• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

to fry or not to fry

N

Nicole

Hi, I'm a brand new cockatoo dwarf owner (2 months). I have 2 males and two females. I abosolutely love these fish, I could sit and watch them for hours! :D
Anyways, I have a few questions about spawning and fry. Recently the female turned a bright yellow and began guarding her cave. I knew from all the reading I've done on this site (thank you) that she most likely had eggs within. About a week later I saw a group a fry beneath her in the gravel. They looked really healthy and mom was doing a great job guarding them (dad was helping out also). I feed them some mashed flake food twice that evening and it appeared as though they were eating. The next day I checked the tank to see how they were and they were gone. Mom was still guarding her territory but there were no fry. They are in a 75 g. community tank with tetras and I assumed the other fish nabbed them at night when mom could not see as well. Am I right?
Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future? I've heard a night light helps.
Should I siphon the fry out with airline tubing and keep them in a 10g. with a sponge filter?
Initially I did not intend on breeding or raising fry-but I really love these fish so here I am.
Thanks
Nicole H.

farm41

5 Year Member
A night light will do wonders, mom can't protect them when she can't see them. Good luck, I know you're hooked now. :D

aspen

5 Year Member
nicole if you want to raise a decent sized spawn to adulthood, you should move the pair to a 20 gal spawning tank with a few oto's or other fish that are not egg or fry predators. you can pull the parents when they are big enough, say 1/4". almost all tetras and other fish would love to eat fry over flake.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….