• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tips and trick when breeding apistogramma

Numnified

Hi all

Was just wondering if you guys do have any tips and tricks you guys personally use when breeding apistogramma ot triggering them to do so and if so please share your personal tips in this thread thank you!

Cheers Darren

Bart Hazes

I don't find there to be much mystery, well at least not for most of them. Good food (most live and frozen), good water (100% RO in my case but depends on your tap water), a "jungle tank" that isn't kept too sterile, and not too much mucking around in the tanks. As a special feature I run all my tanks without filters just relying on (floating) plants for waste removal so no nitrates build up. I think it helps but a filter plus frequent water changes works great for the majority of breeders.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As Bart wrote, good food & good water values/conditions are important. Filtration can vary, but most apistos don't enjoy high currents. I use sponge and matten filters powered by air-lift tubes. The tanks should be decorated so the fish feel secure. Other than that, 'benign neglect' - not continually poking your nose into the tank - is about all that's needed.

Bart Hazes

As Bart wrote, good food & good water values/conditions are important. Filtration can vary, but most apistos don't enjoy high currents. I use sponge and matten filters powered by air-lift tubes. The tanks should be decorated so the fish feel secure. Other than that, 'benign neglect' - not continually poking your nose into the tank - is about all that's needed.

Do you find the matten filters to be a good food source for fry? I am planning to use 2" matten filters to separate a 180x60x25cm fry grow-out tank into multiple compartments and draw a very gentle current across them all. Hoping for some nice "aufwuchs" to develop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….