• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tip for newbies...

G

gat3keeper

Hi... I'm new to this forum and I've been thinking to collect or possibly breed dwarf cichlid. Any tips? W/C dwarf cichlid is rare and common? easy and difficult to maintain and breed?

Neil

Deedoo,
W/C means wild caught!

gat3keeper,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Tank raised species are probably a little more stable and problem free for someone who is starting out, but there are an aweful lot of very nice wild species floating around. You need to research the fish and the place where you are getting either to find out how good the fish are.
The type of species depends on what you like, whether you want to breed and what water you are willing to deal with. Cacatuoides, borellii, and a few others are tolerant of medium water conditions and are a good first choice for someone who does not want to "play" with the water. Come up with a few specific species that you like and then post again for more specific responses.
Neil

Deedoo

5 Year Member
Hello !

Thank you for W/C :lol: :lol:

A nice dwarf cichlid is Anomalochromis thomasi. It was the first ovipare I bred ! This fish is quite tolerant of medium water conditions and I think it is a good choice for someone whot starts with dwarf cichlids.

Deedoo

G

gat3keeper

Thanks deedoo & neil...

what do you mean by medium water condition? I'm livin at a subdivision where deep well water is accessible. I've been researching the internet and agassizi "Double Red", cacatuoides, & sunset caught my attention. Of those apistogramma that I just mentioned, which one is the hardest and which one is the easiest to keep or possibly breed?

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
gat3keeper said:
Thanks deedoo & neil...

what do you mean by medium water condition? I'm livin at a subdivision where deep well water is accessible. I've been researching the internet and agassizi "Double Red", cacatuoides, & sunset caught my attention. Of those apistogramma that I just mentioned, which one is the hardest and which one is the easiest to keep or possibly breed?

mu opinion , easiest to hardiest order :

A. cacatuoides
A. agassizii
A. Sunset

my two cents

Neil

gat3keeper,

what do you mean by medium water condition?

I was refering to neutral tap water (pH-7-7.5, 5-8dGH).

Of those apistogramma that I just mentioned, which one is the hardest and which one is the easiest to keep or possibly breed?

You have covered the entire spectrum there. Cacatuoides is considered an easy apisto. Agassizii is right in the middle. And Sunset is one of the toughest.

Neil

A

adder

Ditto on Anomalochromis thomasi. Relatively unknown fish IMHO but a real jewel in the aquarium.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….