• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Time to raise the Temp. ???

Travis_Conklin

5 Year Member
Hello, everyone. Okay I have a couple of questions. I have recently had a spawn of the Cac's, I have tried to keep my temp at the magical 26 degrees to get the 50/50 ratio. My questions now are how long exactly or estimate'ly should I keep the temp like this, I think I remember it being two weeks. Next should I increase the temp after that time or leave it alone. If so what temp should I increase to.

Thanks in advance.

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
It is very rare that I change temps. Mabey after you have fry and they are moved raise the temp in their tank to promote quick growth.

Travis_Conklin

5 Year Member
Okay, little of confusion here I think. I have free swimming fry, they are about two weeks old. My question is how long do I have to keep the temp. at 26 degrees to get the 50/50 ratio? Then if I can or should raise the temp. what do you all suggest. My previous batch I raised where all males and were raised from eggs to juvi at 80 degrees, my goal this time is to have the 50/50 ratio.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Keep the fry at around 79ºF/26ºC for at least 4, or better 6 weeks. After this you can keep them at any safe temperature that you want. As I remember from my Biological Oceanography courses way back in the Pleistocene, fish fry that are kept at lower temperatures grow slower, but grow larger; fish fry at higher temperatures grow faster, but don't grow as large. So after 6 weeks, it's up to you: do you want to grow them out & move them fast (requires more food & water changes - higher metabolic rate) or do you want to grow them larger and move them later?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….