• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thinking of Writing article on A. salpinction.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Is this a good idea or not? It would be for TFH and wouldn't be very long. My problem is that it hasn't been confirmed 100% as salpinction. So would any of you actually read an article about one? I am on the fence looking foward to opinions.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi Hudson, we have not spoke before but ive followed your website and your collecting trips with interest..

To answer your question, yes people would very much like to read a article on this species, as far as im currently aware you are the first person to introduce this species as a live specimen and your pictures were the first of a living fish. You have collected in the habitat so you are the ideal person to write the article..

I dont know about TFH but you would certainly get a lot of interest from various cichlid clubs and associations, how about writing the article and sending it to the American cichlid association and also to my club the British cichlid association.. We have many members that would love to read about this fish.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Thank you very much! Could two associations, or clubs print the same article? I will have to chose one...

Yes of course, you would retain copyright for your work and you can distribute it to whoever you like, you would not be receiving payment for the article(that should never be the reason for writing anyway) so your the boss, you could send it to all clubs and associations across the world, im sure most club magazine editors would be delighted to deal with such a interesting and well mannered young man.
The club magazines are ran by and for serious hobbiests, we are the kinds of people that would find your article most interesting. I have a feeling it would be lost on the Guppy/platy, planted tank brigade that make up 90% of TFH readers.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hudson, I see no problem writing something. I wish more people would! Still you have some things to think about. Here is my opinion, based on my experience with hobby (too many to list), commecial (Cichlid News), and and scientific (J. of Paleontology) magazines.

First think about what you want. Is $$/££ important? If so, commercial magazines are best. TFH, PFK and DATZ get a lot of submissions, but I believe Cichlid News pays the best. You must understand that commercial publications buy the rights to the article - and the photos, too. Unless you can work something out, they will no longer belong to you. If you use any of the photos on your site, they probably will want you to remove them. Club magazines like the ACA's "Buntbarsche Bulletin", BCA's "Cichlidae", and the DCG's "DCG-Info" do not pay for the articles published in them, but the rights to the article and photos still belong to you. You can have the article published in several different publications with many fewer problems.

Next, think about the article. Do you want to write about more generalized article about collecting and finding something new, or about the new species itself? If the former, then look at some of the articles on TomC's site (http://apisto.sites.no/default.aspx) for ideas. If you want to introduce a new species to the hobby, then in my opinion, it takes a bit more effort. Good articles should include:

Diagnostic features: why is this fish new and different?
Occurrence: where was it collected and what were the biotope conditions?
Aquarium maintenece: what size tank/decor, water conditions, and food are needed to keep this species?
Behavior: how does the species behave in the aquarium?
Breeding: what is needed to successfully breed the species? (water values, food - both for adults and fry, courtship behavior, breeding behavior and fry care)

As for your fish, I have only seen a few photos of the species. It sure looks like A. salpinction to me, but I am NOT infallible! I once claimed that A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin was the true A. juruensis. Once differences were pointed out to me, I realized that I was WRONG! - and have admitted it over and over. If this was my fish and my article, I would call it "A. cf. salpinction (Itapeaçu) and explain why: because it comes from a much different location than the original type locality.

If you feel that you need some help in any way, just PM me (yes, folks, I finally cleared out my PM folder).

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
but I believe Cichlid News pays the best

Not even close..... CN is a pleasure to write for, and they will publish articles that are of less interest to the average reader, but they pay the least.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Wow. That was very helpful Mike! Thank you. I feel like sending it to ACA BCG and DCA and some of the other clubs and the money isn't a huge issue. I thought about TFH because they were very nice the first time I sent in the dreadful article that (somehow) got published. Anyway I may try TFH and if it doesnt accept it then I won't hesitate to try the clubs. Am I doing the right thing? Good job on clearing out the PM box!

DaRe

5 Year Member
I still feel bad about having it in verious publications but oh well I guess I should write it first and then worry about that.

BCA, ACA and NCS (which I'm part of running) all collaborate in one way or the other and we share some articles between us, of course with the approval of the authors.

We hobbyist need to stick together to get more attention to the hobby I feel. The more we can collaborate the better. This is also why I try so hard in finding more photos to the free and open for all species register covering all known cichlid species. btw, any help here is appreciated. ;-)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
BCA, ACA and NCS (which I'm part of running) all collaborate in one way or the other and we share some articles between us, of course with the approval of the authors.

We hobbyist need to stick together to get more attention to the hobby I feel. The more we can collaborate the better. This is also why I try so hard in finding more photos to the free and open for all species register covering all known cichlid species. btw, any help here is appreciated. ;-)
It is your choice, but I agree with DaRe, there aren't many of us, and we need to keep as much information as possible in the public domain. If all the information from Mikes articles, this forum, BCA and the Krib etc, had been hidden behind pay for firewalls where would we be now?

cheers Darrel

DaRe

5 Year Member
Please do not feel pressured by me that was not my intention. Feel fully free to do what you please! I'm sure it will support the hobby as well! It is a tough balance and I cannot say how to walk the walk.
so to say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….