• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thinking of sizing up my tank

Andrew H

Hi, I’ve got a 20 gallon long tank with 7 rummynose tetra, 6 sterbai cory and 1 apistogramma cacatuoides (male, orange flash). Things have been very stable for a year since I established the tank but I’m starting to wonder… what if I got a bigger tank? So that’s my question - if you had this crew and wanted to go to a larger tank, what would you do? What size tank and what other fish? I would love to get a second apisto but don’t want breeding or bloodshed. One other detail: water is pH 7.4 with hardness of 150 ppm.

MacZ

I'd just upgrade to a 80x35x40cm (112 liters), stock up the tetras and Corydoras to 10 each and call it a day. Maybe add a species of pencilfish.
For a second Apistogramma you will need a footprint of 120x50cm to be save of what I assume is too much aggression for your taste.

anewbie

I've always liked 40B foot print; not too tall and a bit wider creating more room for plants and all. As for fish - i've quite fond of kubotai rasbora as they are an extremely active fish that hang near the top - all ways swimming. Also i'm very fond of pygmy cory - unlike sterbai they move like a flock of birds swimming mid level until they find a place to settle.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ah, the problem with metric to English (who don't use it now) conversion. Andrew's 20Long aquarium is 75x30x30cm, so Mac's upgrade is not really much of an up-sizing. I like anewbie's suggestion of a 40Breeder (90x45x40cm). The species that you have don't really need a deeper tank.

Apistoguy52

I’ll cast a vote for the 40 breeder as well. Nice size, good footprint. If you really wanted to be an overachiever, you could look at the zoo med low boy 50 gallon frag tank. Cories would probably look spectacular on that footprint (48x24x10)

Andrew H

Thanks all. Really helpful and love the idea of getting some fish that swim at the very top of the water column. I see that aqueon sells a 60 breeder now. Any thoughts on that? That zoo med 50 looks intriguing too!

Last edited:

anewbie

I think the 60 breeder they are selling is a nice option but then it becomes a question of space and $$. I'd go for a 60 breeder in some cases - certainly would prefer it over a 55 for angels.

Memeboi

I'd just upgrade to a 80x35x40cm (112 liters), stock up the tetras and Corydoras to 10 each and call it a day. Maybe add a species of pencilfish.
For a second Apistogramma you will need a footprint of 120x50cm to be save of what I assume is too much aggression for your taste.
I've been wondering about the 120 x 50 Thing, From what i have heard the rule is 1 square foot per (dwarf) Cichlid, 30 x 30, so basically 1 10g floor per Apisto, but you recomend more, is this an experience thing or more of a hunch, wondering for cross comparision

MacZ

I go by 60cm diameter for a territory plus the space needed to place proper separating structures.

Andrew H

I think the 60 breeder they are selling is a nice option but then it becomes a question of space and $$. I'd go for a 60 breeder in some cases - certainly would prefer it over a 55 for angels.
So after waiting forever for a sale that never appeared I just went ahead and bought the 60 gallon breeder aqueon and a stand. Now I need lighting and filtration. There doesn’t seem to be a standard hood for a 48” long aquarium so I’m looking at glass cover and LED panel (eg Twinstar). For filtration… I’ve got no idea. Currently using an Fluvall habg on back. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

MacZ

For filtration I'd switch to a canister filter rated for at least 350 liters, add a prefilter sponge on the intake and cram all the filter media from the hang on back in the canister. Also make sure to get in-line valves for the hoses, at least for the outflow, so you can regulate the current coming from it.

Last edited:

Andrew H

For filtration I'd switch to a canister filter rated for at least 350 liters, add a prefilter sponge on the intake and cram all the filter media from the hang on back in the canister. Also make sure to get in-line valves for the hoses, at least for the outflow, so you can regulate the current coming from it.
Thanks Mac, I’ll go canister and control the current.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….