• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

These were mixed with the aggies..

Bev N

Apisto Club
5 Year Member
I found these in the shipment of aggies I got. There were only these three. I have tried to figure out which one but I'm not sure. Before I tell someone yes that is what they are I thought it a good idea to find out for sure. Thanks in advance for any help here.

unknown3.jpg

unknown2.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Bev, I agree with Lukasz - A. mendezi. Were these with the wild aggies you wrote about last week? If so, I would label the aggies "A. cf. agassizii (Netz) Rio Negro".:wink:

Bev N

Apisto Club
5 Year Member
Thanks guys! Yes they were in that lot of aggies. Thanks for the proper name for the aggies. I'll have to pass that onto Larry.

FishSoup

5 Year Member
Hey there, was looking through the pics and the fish actually looked rather like Apistogramma paucisquamis to me :confused:

Is anyone here able to expound on the differences between A. mendezi and A. paucisquamis please? I'm actually considering getting some paucisquamis; worried i might be getting the wrong species...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I must agree that these aren't the best photos to show all of the diagnostic features of A. mendezi and could be confused with A. paucisquamis. What makes me think that they are A. mendezi is the very wide lateral band and caudal pattern. The lateral band on A. mendezi is almost 2X the width of that on A. paucisquamis. The caudal fin pattern on A. paucisquamis is similar to that of A. bitaeniata (stripes parallel to the fin rays on the outside and rows of spot in the middle). A. mendezi has horizontal stripes or vertical rows of spots over the entire surface of the fin. The mouth of A. paucisquamis also has more massive lips than A. mendezi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….