• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The lowest comfortable temperature for trifasciata

Neptunus

Hi
I asking this question for it s the reason i am on this forum : what's the lowest T trifasciata can be kept without harming them? Trifasciata keepers, what's the average T in your tanks?
In almost all sites (they probably source from the same) it s said 26-29ºC. But i found one (seriouslfish) standing it's 20-25. I found someone posting in a forum, that the T in the waters they are from can drop to 20 (or 22ºC) during winter. But it s not clear for how long.
For the comfort of the other fish, I d like to set the T of my tank to 24,5ºC admitting it will sometimes drop to 23,5 and go as high as 25ºC but i am not sure it wll not harm my apistos. I am sure they wll survive this but for how long and how well? Will they still enjoy life or just keep breathing with a metabolism slowed down?
For the moment I am not aiming to breed them, just wish they to feel good.
Sorry for my French )

Bart Hazes

Same for A. borelli and A. commbrae which come from the same region where nature temperatures dip well below 20C in the cool months. I'm looking forward to set up room temp tank(s) for these species.

Neptunus

Indeed i have just checked water temp in rio paraguay - it seems to be 20 -29 during the year.
So i ll let my current temperature as it is (23,7 ºC)

Colossus

5 Year Member
In Paraguay it can freeze. I was there during the dry season (April) and it was around 21°C in the small streams where the Apistogramma were, 27°C on the swallow water on the shore of the Paraguay river. Most of the Apistogramma where found in small lake and small streams, wtaer temperature was between 19°C and 23°C.

Neptunus

It s been a while i keep the temperature at 23,7 and they look fine. But i've never seen the yellow color of the female since.
In my previous tank (26ºC) she got yellow almost every other week. I never saw the fry, guess the eggs did not survive , but at least i saw somthing was happinging in there, and the female used to chase the male for a day or two. And since i changed the tank and lowed the temperature - nothing: the female becomes aggresive from time to time towards the male, but always grey or sometimes has the same pattern and color as the male (i thougt she trangendered to male at the beginning), but never yellow...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….