• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"The Cichlids of Western Africa" by Anton Lamboj

Randall

5 Year Member
Dear friends,

My German language copy of Dr. Lamboj's new book, "Die Cichliden des westlichen Afrikas," arrived recently, and it exceeds my expectations.

The book discusses all of the cichlid species from Senegal, in the north, to southern Angola and Namibia, in the south, including those not commonly associated with the West Africa region (Lamprologini and Haplochomini). The first three chapters are preceded by a map and are devoted to systematics, habitat and and breeding. This section contains numerous color photos of the differing biotopes where cichlids are found. Also included is a table of water chemistry values from all over the region.

The species sections start out with an explanation of the two major western African cichlid sub-families and all of various tribes assigned to them. From there the numerous tribes are introduced, and detailed information is offered at the generic, specific and, where applicable, sub-specific levels. The detailed information offered in the species sections includes names, range and distribution, body characteristics and coloration (including size), diet, general characteristics, ecology, and care and breeding. Some incredible insights into the fish are offered.

There are 590 unenhanced color photos. Photos of both male and female fish are offered, as well as photos of various color morphs and different populations of the same species. In some instances, photos of juvenile fish are included. Even some photos of preserved specimens are used to illustrate rare species that are not found in the hobby. With this book, we never need to misidentify a western African cichlid again!

For readers who want to delve further, a literature index precedes the text index.

All in all, this book could be retitled, "Everything You've Ever Wanted to Know About Western African Cichlids, but Were Afraid to Ask."

http://www.apistogramma.com/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=500&Itemid=2

Thank you and happy reading come May!

Randall Kohn

ancientaquarist

5 Year Member
Exciting new book elicits questions.

Randall-

How very exciting about the book just as I was considering a second show tank built around African dwarfs. So far so good with the Neotropicals though my lord are they expensive.

Can youu recommend (based on the book) 5-6 different spp/genera for a 125 community tank with African characins as dither fish. Could I add some salt to the water and include Etroplus maculatus-they are old friends-first cichlids I ever spawned in 1955.

Randall

5 Year Member
Western African Cichlid Recommendations

Dear Michael,

There's no need to wait for the new book to recommend some western African cichlids for you. There is such cichlid diversitity in the region, however, that it might be best if you gave me a better indication of what you might be interested in keeping and doing; i.e., are you interested in smaller fish or larger ones, aggressive or not, breeding, etc.?

All cichlids are secondary freshwater fishes and, consequently, are salt tolerant. A good number of western African cichlids are found in forestal areas, however, where the water is soft and acidic. The crater lakes of Cameroon contain slightly alkaline water, but there, too, the water is still soft. If you're looking to keep Etroplus spp. in a community setting and add salt to the water, it may be best to stick with some of the rheophilic species of the Congo drainage. Some of the waters there tend to be harder and fairly neutral to alkaline.

Yours sounds like a great project!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member
Anton Lamboj's New Book

Hello Andy,

You can't find the book online because it is not published yet. The publisher advises that the book will be released within the next few days. When it is available, a notice will be published on the front page of Apistogramma.com. We hope to make it available through the web site.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Blackshark667766

5 Year Member
:D Trouble is: most of us (for our sins) don't speak German, or for that matter read it easily either :D Fortunately [owing to stuff like "The Beano"
and "The Dandy", we can raed between the lines!

Nick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….